C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scrap that pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 02:35 AM
slide
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap that pulley

Bought a new power steering pump for the Vette and bent the pulley trying to get it off the old pump :mad :cry :smash: :smash: Someday things are going to get better, aren't they ?
Old 11-19-2001, 08:45 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Scrap that pulley (slide)

Sorry to hear that you bent the pulley. As you may know, you have to use a special tool to grip the pulley hub and push on the pump driveshaft to get it off. All GM power steering pumps were switched to an interference fit between the pump driveshaft and the pulley starting in 1975. To install the pulley you need to draw the pulley onto the driveshaft using a 3/8-16 UNC bolt, nut, and washer. You will damage the pump internal parts if you try to press the pulley directly onto the pump driveshaft.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:10 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Scrap that pulley (Jim Shea)

thanks for the info, with the way my lucks going I'd probably have screwed up the new pump too
Old 11-20-2001, 08:13 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Scrap that pulley (slide)

Slide,
I messed up my pulley too trying to get it of with a two jaw puller. My power steering pump was leaking and I was trying to get it off so I could buy a new pump. Didn't leak before I started the frame off but I guess the seals dried out. The harder I try to finish up the more loose ends I have. Any ideas where to get another unit at?
Here is a pic of my little helper..His name is Seth

Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 6:16 AM 11/20/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Scrap that pulley

Quick Reply: Scrap that pulley