C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranking Compression Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 01:26 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cranking Compression Question

I did a compression test on my motor, all plugs removed, throttle open, motor warmed up, and got 140psi (+/-1psi) on each cylinder. I have a 350(+.040) stock replacement short block with 76cc heads milled .006. I'm not sure what the static compression is, but the cranking readings seem low compared to what I've seen most people post. The motor only has about 15K on it, and I have a Summit cam 204/214, 420/442 lift installed straight up. The intake lobe centerline is 107 and the LDA is 112. Question is, are these readings abnormally low? I thought about advancing the cam 4deg., but I'm not sure if it allready has advance ground into it and another 4deg. would be excessive. The thing just feels soft until 2-2500RPM. I thought with this small of a cam I should have a little more bottom end. I know part of the problem is a stock converter and 3.08's. Would like to hear any thoughts on this. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:35 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Cranking Compression Question (ORVette)

Guess that I'll watch how this goes too. I just checked mine yesterday and got 145 to 150 on all cylinders. Until reading this I had thought that it was normal.
Cam specs are: Comp XE262, duration IN 262 EX 270, Lobe center 106 degrees, Lobe seperation 110 degrees.
Engine: L48 with ? combustion chambers. Were 76c.c. now milled .030 with .015 head gasket.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:54 AM
V8yunkie
Racer

When you cranked the engine for compression testing, did you open the throttle FULL? Further more, all other spark plugs ought to be removed, too.

You are right, you reading seems a little low (on a stock SB, it should read around 160psi) BUT: The deviation from cylinder to cylinder that you have stated indicate for a sound engine. The low reading results either from not opening the throttle or/and the cam.

BTW, if you want to check the engine, a blow-by-test is much more accurate and can tell you where the problem comes from - piston rings, head gasket, inktake gasket, valves (in case there is one). You can probably borrow the tools for that in a shop...

Good luck,

Best r
Old 11-19-2001, 07:54 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

when it was rebuilt, was it honed with a torque plate?
Are the pistons dished?
my guess is near normal for dished, low by 20-30 psi if flat tops.
but it will run on Terrible Herbets gas!
Old 11-19-2001, 03:40 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cranking Compression Question (drives61)

When I tested it I had all the plugs out and the throttle linkage full open, allthough I didn't block open the secondaries. I do not know about the rebuilding technique, but it probably wasn't done with a torque plate. It is a mass produced rebuilt block distributed by PowerMaster(Cummins Northwest). It was in the car when I bought it. I don't remember if the pistons were dished from when I replaced the heads, but I do remember they had 4 valve relief cuts and also the outer 3/16 or so of them was cut down at like a 45deg. angle. It does run great, plugs look perfect, steady 18 in. vac.@600RPM, just kind of a dog out of the hole.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:53 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Sounds like dished pistons. Another possible cause for lower compression is the use of thicker composition head gasket than the stock steel shim.

A good book to read about cranking compression is David Vizard's "How to Build Max Horsepower on a Budget".

Get notified of new replies

To Cranking Compression Question

Quick Reply: Cranking Compression Question