C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 09:59 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions?

Today, I found some green stuff on the floor of my garage. Yep, antifreeze. I think it may be coming from around the water pump gasket or perhaps the overflow tube. Not sure.

There was some moisture around the water pump gasket on the drivers side close to where the alternator bracket bolt goes through. But the place on the floor where the anti-freeze was is fairly close to where the overflow tube from the expansion tank goes down.

I know there should be no moisture around those bolts so the gasket is probably leaking. But it didn't look like enough to cause what I saw on the floor.

I took it out and let it get up to operating temp today and drove it for about 20 minutes. Nothing on the floor tonight. I'm stumped.

Think the water pump is going or could it have been something else?

So, what's all involved with removing the water pump? If I go through all the trouble to remove it, should I just get a new one in case, or would replacing the gasket be all that's needed?

While I'm at it, I may just replace the lower rad. hose and the heater hoses. They're old.

Thanks,
jeff
Old 11-18-2001, 10:41 PM
RoyArms
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (jeffnles1)

hehe another one of those "while you're at it projects".... The water pump isnt too bad. Me and my friend replaced mine without too much trouble. You just take the fan clutch off and those belts and pulleys on the pump... then its 4 bolts to take the pump off and then disconnect the hoses (with radiator drained previously of course). The new one then just goes into place. The hardest part that we had to deal with was the A/C bracket... I don't think it is the stock one and I still dont know exactly what it looks like, it sorta wraps around the compressor in weird ways.

Anyway, what I am saying is, you shouldn't have any problem replacing the pump... and I would go for a new pump if you are going to rip the thing out for a gasket anyway, they are fairly cheap.

Another tip... to get that plug out of the top of the old pump and move it to the new pump, unless you happen to have a HUGE hex wrench (it was 9/16" i believe), just use a bolt and nut and stick it in there and turn it with a wrench.

Hope you fix your leak.......
Old 11-18-2001, 11:14 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (RoyArms)

Yes, I believe it may turn into a while I'm at it kind of deal. Looking at the lower rad hose. What a nightmare to reach the thing. Wow, that'll take longer than the water pump and teach the family at least three or four new words.

Thanks for the tip on removing the plug.

Any tips about replacing the pump? Thread sealer on the bolts sounds good, any RTV sealer around the gasket? Should I use anything like acetone to clean the gasket area before replacing the pump?

I've never drained the radiator on a Vette. I assume it's about the same as on any other Chevy? The drain **** is on the opposite side of the lower hose entry? What about draining the block? Any tricks there?

If I'm going to get dirty, I may as well go all out right?

Jeff
Old 11-18-2001, 11:30 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Jeff,

Seems that I'm on the same boat:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=185682

Misery loves company... :jester

I've noticed the same thing: some times it leaks, some times it doesn't leak at all. If I have to remove the water pump, than I think I'll replace the damn thing. And will probably have to spend some time detailing the front of the engine, pulleys, etc. Not the kind of stuff I wanted to do in the last days of the driving season...

-Pedro

[Modified by Pedro'74, 11:48 PM 11/18/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 12:07 AM
yogi78
Instructor

I searched for the cause of my anti-freeze drip, thought it was the hoses coming off the heater core because it was leaking from behind the mystery panel on the bottom of the passenger fender. Turns out the clamp on the overflow bottle was loose and when it was hot it would seep out. bottom radiator hose is easy to replace, just make sure you get one with a spring in it so it doesn't collapse, Gates hoses have the spring and are available at almost all auto parts stores. good luck :chevy
Old 11-19-2001, 12:30 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (yogi78)

i found about two or three drops of coolant on the floor of the garage near where the lower hose is at. Couldn't find anything on the car so I tightened the lower hose clamps. Drove the vette a couple days later and twenty minutes from home (if driving 50+) a heater hose split right at the clamp. Apparently it was already on it's way out and the coolant had managed to run down the hose and drip a couple drops on the floor (no clue how I didn't catch that). All the pressure from the high RPM runs caused the hose to split even more. Anyway, I limped home at low RPM's with white smoke billowing out the back of the vette from the coolant burning on the exhaust. Just one more lesson to add to the growing list.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:33 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (Pedro'74)

Pedro,
Think I'm about to feel your pain :U

I agree, If I'm going through all the trouble to pull the darn thing off, I might as well cough up some cash and buy a new one. Like the idea of detailing the front of the engine as well.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2001, 01:16 AM
RoyArms
Racer

ok more detail time :smash: As far as draining the system goes, thats the only part that I did not do. But I believe all you have to do is take off the lower rad hose where it connects to the radiator... you can get at it from under the car. You don't have to drain the block.

As far as putting the new one on, I just scraped the front of the block with a razor blade and made sure all the old crap was off. Then used gasket sealant on the gaskets and no leaks yet. For the plug on top, I used teflon tape, but I dont think it did any good, most of it seems to just come off as I screwed it in, VERY tight fit.

As far as teaching a few new words.... ya... that happens... one part I found particularly.... well... :mad :mad was getting the lower rad hose off the water pump... ARGH I think that I almost broke my arm. It will be like bonded to the pump from being on there sooooooo long.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:05 AM
kennycarpenter
Advanced

Jeff, as far as the a/c bracket is concerned, I found it easiest to loosen both bolts near the a/c compressor on the bracket and lift the pump up and towards the passenger fender with all of the water pump bolts out (4) and install in the reverse, I also found it best to seal the gaskets to the block first and let them set before lowering the pump back on. Give your self a lot of play with the bracket and pump as you don't want to damage those new gaskets or touch them until the pump is lined up perfect. My neighbors kids probably have more vocabulary after my timimg chain install still in process. :mad :mad :cry
Old 11-19-2001, 03:36 AM
RoyArms
Racer

Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (kennycarpenter)

I am glad that I am not the only one teaching new vocabulary while working on my car :D :smash: :lol:
Old 11-19-2001, 05:40 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

While the radiator is empty, don't forget the thermostat.

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 4:40 AM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 09:18 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (1970 Stingray)

To remove those stubborn stuck radiator hoses, use a razor blade and cut the radiator hose length wise where the hose is stuck to the pump. This should help the hose come off easier. You can use this on any hose. Just be careful and don`t cut yourself. :lol:
Old 11-19-2001, 02:38 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions? (Eddie 96)

To remove those stubborn stuck radiator hoses, use a razor blade and cut the radiator hose length wise where the hose is stuck to the pump. This should help the hose come off easier. You can use this on any hose. Just be careful and don`t cut yourself. :lol:
Yep. If you're replacing them (which you should do if they're going to be off), then you might as well cut them and not waste your time trying to twist them off. Much easier to remove once it's cut lengthwise, just pry them off with a screwdriver if needed. Saves a ton of time.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:18 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Ahh yes, a new winter project indeed.

js

Get notified of new replies

To Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions?

Quick Reply: Found green stuff on the floor - oh oh questions?