C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 09:23 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible?

I smell EVERYTHING, even with the top up. And I am always afraid its me!! :eek:

If I am behind a bus, I think my engine is smoking.... but its the bus. And if i ever go by a roofing job, I think my engine is on fire!!

Today I was on the highway, and I smell burning coolant. I check my temp guage, and it is way cool....like 180, but I smell the coolant and actually shout an expletive (forum wont let me print it!!) and hit the steering wheel with my fist. I then see in my lane about 1/4 mile ahead of me a van with smoke pouring out of it. Another 1/4 mile and he has pulled over with the smoke pouring out from in front and under his van. I almost stop, but it is steam, not smoke from a fire, and besides, not a corvette. But man, I smell everything!! About the only time I wasnt worried about my car was when I drove thru farm country and smelled the manure...... but I did check the bottom of my shoes!! :) MJ
Old 11-18-2001, 09:43 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (MNJack)

What brand of deoderant do you use?
Old 11-18-2001, 10:09 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (MNJack)

Yup, burnt brakes, burnt oil, coolant :rolleyes:
It's a sickness.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:13 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Shutdown1)

What brand of deoderant do you use?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one
I was think he needed to check his shorts :eek:
Old 11-18-2001, 10:32 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Desertdawg)

Thanks DesertDawg,

I hope MNJack doesn't take offense, but I can't find much on the forum tonight, and just wanted to post something. Regards, nice car! Shutdown1
Old 11-18-2001, 11:46 PM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Shutdown1)

OMG i thought i was alone and had a sickness. When im driving i can smell burning from miles away. I think i look at my temp gauge more than the road. I check all my gauges every time i slow down, which is every 30 secs or so. And when ever i smell something in the air my first reaction is "poop, what now?".

I dont think ill ever get over this.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:47 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Oh, yeah...t-tops off I start getting really paranoid.

I'm afraid one of these days I'm gonna start the car in a closed garage to see if I catch any smells. ;)
Old 11-18-2001, 11:58 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Chris Fowler '80)

I sure do! And I've stopped a few times to check what's burning in the engine compartment.

-Pedro
Old 11-18-2001, 11:59 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

And Thanks right back at ya Shutdown1

I really like the way the red on the side pipes and rims add to the look your vette.
Nice job :cheers:

Old 11-19-2001, 04:52 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

And here I thought I was the only one who drives by smell. :lol: :lol:
I always worry that it is my car if I smell coolant, brakes, or burning tranny fluid while I am driving. :D
Unfortunately that paranoya (sp) didn't keep me from hitting a skunk a few months ago, then it really was my car that I smelled. :U :lol:
Old 11-19-2001, 07:07 AM
Garys81
Instructor

Ok...so this is a sickness.......

Attended a holiday parade in Hatboro, PA this weekend. The turn out was very good, streets lined for almost two miles, tons of kids. Got alot of "cool car" and how bout' a burnout.......

Needless to say the parade moved very slow with the corvette club behind a marching band. I smelled everything.........would have bet the house "I" was overheating....gauge was good, I took turns tossing out candy to the kids and giving the gauge a tap just to be sure. Mind you the Vette has NEVER ran hot or given me any problems. I couldn't wait to finish. The ride home was fine......I-95 south bound radio cranked and "airin' it out".

After reading all the posts, I thought about it for a bit. I only go on "smell patrol" as my other half calls it when in the vette. I hope when I add the C-5 to the stable I can find a cure.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:34 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Garys81)

Yes I do drive by Nose as well and I know exactly what you mean..It is part of owning a 25 year old plus car....Evenutally something will go wrong...Ya just gotta be on top of it when it does
Old 11-19-2001, 10:13 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YEP.. :yesnod: Been there, do that, always did.. always will. Helped me catch a radiator leak in my truck on a long trip, before it could overheat in the middle of nowhere. Some ricer exhaust smells like burning electric wires... scary when driving a 25yr old car! :cheers: :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 11-19-2001, 11:17 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Silvr77)

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not only the smells ... but always watching for smoke from frying wires behinbd the dash, in the engine compartment or anything else that can burn
Old 11-19-2001, 11:31 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Yepper, I'm very paranoid when it comes to that. My passengers seem to be totally oblivious to any possible smells. I find myself constantly checking my guages too :)
Old 11-19-2001, 12:12 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (Silvr77)

Yep. I can relate. Everytime I fire it up, and head down the road, its like my senses are hightened: Smell, vision, hearing: the whole bit.

Its bred from: Big bucks spendt+countless hrs self labour= paranoia
Old 11-19-2001, 06:04 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (MELVIN)

I agree with Melvin! Not only the sense of smell gets better, but hearing as well. This summer while the top was of, I heard a lawn mower without a muffler and thought it was my car. I'm glad that others have this problem as well and it isn't just me.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible?

Old 11-19-2001, 07:49 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Cool. Glad to hear others have it too. My senses of smell and hearing get extra attenuated when driving the Vette. Most of the time I don't even have radio on for this reason. :)

Now my wife is starting to develop these Corvette senses as well. :)
-terry
Old 11-19-2001, 08:07 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible? (terryrudy)

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
My name is Tom, and I am a Corvette paranoid!!!
Not only smells, but noises, squeaks, thumps, clanks...
Drives my wife crazy. :D

The owner of the Corvette shop where I bought it told me to quit
worrying about it and just enjoy the car. If something breaks, it can be
fixed. (Yeah sure, at a labor rate of $70+ :rolleyes: )
Old 11-19-2001, 08:13 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing I worry about most is breaking a spindle while going around a corner. I have no idea why, since I've never actually broken one. It's just the look of those trailing arms and stubby axles that gives me the chills.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Do you have a paranoid nose when you drive your C3? esp convertible?