C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 09:01 PM
84fieroburton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a vette

im buying a vette (c3 :cheers: ) soon .
i don't realy know what year yet but it will probley be a 1974-82 c3.
im not a very good machanic but i was wondering if i could get some info about what to look for when buying a c3 corvette ?
also, what is probley the fastest most reliable c3 in the 1974-82 years?
and what king of c3 problems should i exspect to get with $10,000 budget ?
thanx alot
Burton
Old 11-18-2001, 10:22 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: buying a vette (84fieroburton)

Hi Burton,

I'm no expert on anything, but when I buy a used car I always take it for a test drive with somebody that is knowlegable about the model. And then I take it to a good mechanic and have him go over the car completely and give me his opinion. Remember, that even though it may be a beautiful, immaculate C-3 Corvette sitting there, - it is still an OLD CAR! You say you are "not a very good mechanic," but you probably will be after you've owned any old hotrod a few years. $10,000 should buy you a decent ride. Regards and good luck...... '74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection" , class of '71
Old 11-18-2001, 10:38 PM
joshc
Instructor

Burton,

Do a search on the forum. There were some posts a while ago, on like 90 things to look at when buying a C3. I definitely agree on having a mech. go through the car for you. Having it up on a lift can tell a lot, and always have a compression test done, it will be worth it. Where do you start when looking at a C3. Rust below the windsheild pillars, spider webs/cracks in the glass, check out all things that should work, AC/heat, blowers, guages. Find someone who knows vettes and have them go with you to look, and really have a mech. look it over. One last thing that I didnt do enough of, look at every vette that you can. One day you will find the right car for the right $. Here in AZ, you can find good C3's from 6500 and up. Buy the best car you can find in the best condition, as you will have plenty of things to do once you buy it. 10000 will buy you a very nice C3.

Good Luck
Old 11-18-2001, 10:53 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

I'm not a very good mechanic
Don't worry, you will be shortly after buying a C3 Corvette :smash:
Darn happy too! :D
Old 11-18-2001, 11:03 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: buying a vette (1979toy)

"Buy the best one you can afford" should be the 1st time 'Vette buyers Golden Rule....you want to drive the thing, not have to put it up one blocks to get it going......You drive it enuff & you'll find lots of things that you want to do, but if you buy a cheaper one that needs some work, you'll find things that you HAVE to do..... My 2 cents worth....Happy Hunting! :D :flag
Old 11-18-2001, 11:46 PM
84fieroburton
Advanced

thanks :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:D

Old 11-18-2001, 11:52 PM
yogi78
Instructor

Besides the usual used car items that need to be checked, make sure you also check the frame for RUST, especially if you live in the midwest. The rear part of the frame behind the drivers door where it curves upward is where I hear rust can be a problem. Also look at how many shims are on the control arms, an unusual number or unequal number of shims on one side could indicate a possible bent frame. Look at where the frame curves inward in front of the firewall to see if it had been kinked at some point.

Get notified of new replies

To buying a vette

Quick Reply: buying a vette