C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 07:10 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water pump leak?

Hi All,

Seems like a no-brainer to me (but then again, what do I know?): green puddle under the front of the engine, green drops on the inside fenders. I torqued the water pump bolts, and that seemed to stop the leak, at least temporarily (or so I wish....).

A few questions:

1. If it is a bad water pump, then what would be a good replacement? (I'm more interested in value and dependability than originality.)

2. What is the PITA factor of replacing the pump, and what are the usual while-u-r-at-it's?

Thanks in advance!!!

-Pedro
Old 11-18-2001, 07:21 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: Water pump leak? (Pedro'74)

look at the water pump weap hole at housing of water pump by the shaft to pulley mount.If u see water leak signs around that hole then u need new water pump.the job is relatively simple.I would suggest changing the belts and hoses while you are there unless you have changed them within 2 years.
Yo Pedro,nothing like owning a vette is there?If it isn't broke it soon will be.
Wave on ! \ ////
Old 11-18-2001, 07:30 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Agree with "All Smiles 81", plus I'd add thermostat to that list. Might as well do a flush of the system "while your at it" too.

I put a generic auto parts store water pump on about 6 years ago and have had no problems.

I can't remember what the book says for the Corvette water pump, but make sure the bolts go back into the correct holes; I remember crushing an impeller blade by mixing the bolts up on a '68 Mustang. Also, I don't know if it's necessary, but I'd use a thread sealer on the bolts too.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:43 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Water pump leak? (all smiles 81)

Yo Pedro,nothing like owning a vette is there?If it isn't broke it soon will be.
I have to agree with that! I can't even finish fixing one thing, and I already have another project lined up... Oh well, it's all for fun.... :D

Thanks for the tips, guys! Tomorrow I'll look and see if I can see coolant where all smiles mentioned, and if so I'll bite the bullet and start getting the parts for the replacement. The hoses are two years old and the belts are about 3 years old. Might replace them anyway. The thermostat is brand new.

Thanks again!

-Pedro
Old 11-19-2001, 01:19 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

[MONTYPYTHON]
That water pump has expired! It's DEAD! It ceeeeeeased to be!!!!
[/MONTYPYTHON]

Yeah, today I checked it with a mirror, with the engine running, and there's coolant dripping from the bottom of the pump and no coolant around the gaskets. Guess I'll have to replace the damn thing...

So here's a question: I checked some prices, and they are pretty much the same, except for the fancy dancy stuff. For the same 65-70 bux I can get a Delco, Weiand, Stewart, Milodon, Tuff Stuff.... What is the best bang for the buck??? I want to install this thing and forget it exists, at least for the next 28 years or so. I also don't want any headache with alternator brace, pulley, fan, and stuff like that, so it must be a direct replacement.

BTW, is my pump a "long neck" or "short neck"?

Thanks in advance!

-Pedro

Old 11-19-2001, 02:10 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW, is my pump a "long neck" or "short neck"?
All C3 pumps are short.

What is the best bang for the buck???
IMHO, Stewart makes the best. http://www.stewartcomponents.com/

Stewart Part #11204 is for your car. Its $90.
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/chevyS1.htm

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 1:13 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 02:18 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Water pump leak? (mdsmith)

Thanks Mark! I have a small block, so I think the correct Stewart pump for me is the 13103 (70 bux).

-Pedro

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump leak?

Quick Reply: Water pump leak?