C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ?

Old 11-18-2001, 09:40 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ?

It is a small slice from a razor blade in the front near the top. Is JB WELD a good think to use for repairing it ? (I dont want to add liquid sealer to the cooling system.) The radiator is not aluminum.

Thanks, R.R. :mad
Old 11-18-2001, 09:46 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ? (Rumpity Rump)

u punctured a tank??

if so, id pull it and get it fixed by a radiator shop...

i wouldnt trust JB weld.....
Old 11-18-2001, 10:03 AM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ? (Rumpity Rump)

Dave,
if you cut a line that is flowing water you should really take out the rad (not a big job!) and go to an experienced radiator shop.
They should be able to solder the line and pressure test it then. (Important!)
Usually my father can do this, but he lives here in Germany too.

If you just cut a fin this isn´t tragic at all, they are just for the heat dissipation and work cut or not.

If you cut the side boxes of the radiator you will have to take out the radiator anyway, cause they need a hot soldering then which should only be done by a pro!

Hope this helped!
Old 11-18-2001, 10:29 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Rumpity,
In Libertyville on rt.176 try A&C radiator, talk to "David" or in Antioch try Rings radiator, they are just north of town, take rt.83 to North ave then west about a half a mile. either will do an excellent job. ...redvetracr
Old 11-18-2001, 03:43 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

JB weld will work. I would solder it myself using acid flux.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:38 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JBWeld is for general purpose stuff, there is something called "radiator repair" which is like JBWeld...in other words it's an epoxy, but designed specifically for pressure resistance, and for bonding to stock radiators. But, the best stuff is AluminaSeal...it is small slivers of aluminum which you pour into a hot radiator which is leaking while the engine is running, then let it run for about 10 to 20 minutes and watch the leak stop. Don't use the "stop leak" stuff which is like slivers of wood and plastic...that stuff doesn't seem to do anything except bunch up and form a ball that plugs up the water pump or thermostat. It would also help if you pulled the thermostat out while doing this just so you don't plug up the thermostat and cause the engine to overheat.

My radiator had several small pin ****** and the AluminaSeal stopped them up within a few minutes...hasn't leaked for over a year.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:49 PM
jsimpson
Drifting

Default Re: If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ? (redvetracr)

I've fixed four or five radiators in the last 50 years with JB weld; never had one start leaking again.
Old 11-18-2001, 08:20 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

I poked a hole in my aluminum radiator (twice) and repaired it with epoxy.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:45 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ? (jsimpson)

Well, i thank you all for your input. I have decided to go the JB WELD route since it is a pin hole size leak. According to the package it came in, it is good for 600 degrees and 3900 psi of pressure . I dont expect my radiator to get that hot ! :)

I cleaned up the area of the hole good and shall give it a good 24 hours to set up.

Thanks, R.R.

Get notified of new replies

To If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you accidentally cut into the front of your radiator , how would you fix it ?