C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torker II vs. Performer (2101)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 12:55 AM
Rhubarb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torker II vs. Performer (2101)

OK ... so just when I figure out how to get the Speed Demon to work on my Torker II intake ... I start thinking about moving to a dual plane model.

The previous owner built this engine to rev high and have a lot of top end power. I prefer just the opposite ... lots of power off the line (like my C5 and 455 powered 442).

The Torker II seems like the wrong intake for me. Since the carb is off anyway, now would be a good time to change the whole thing.

Am I going to see enough of a difference to make it worth while? Or should I bolt the Speed Demon to the Torker ... shut up and be happy?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2001, 01:07 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer (Rhubarb)

If you plan to keep the same heads and cam that make this thing a screamer, than the intake will probably make little difference to low end torque. I just made the opposite swap last year and found very little difference in low end torque. I can still run my engine down to 1000 rpm in high gear without any problems. The torquerII is not as bad as most single planes due to the narrow runners and short profile.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:10 AM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

The Torker II makes a nice intake for mid to high rpm's and still retains reasonable torque at lower rpm's. However, I think it's probably less revolutionary than it was when it was first developed, because now there are a myriad of dual planes that outperform the TorkerII at just about all rpm's. The Torker II does redeem itself above 5500 rpm and does well, until the smallish ports begin to impede flow.

I don't think your desire to jump to a dual plane is ridiculous at all. However, if the engine likes rpm, I wouldn't go to the opposite extreme and get just a Performer manifold. I would suggest you try the Performer RPM, or the Air Gap, or the Wieand Stealth intake. You'll probably experience a torque improvement you can feel, and still retain your high rpm.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:11 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking to shift the power band its probably going to take more than an intake swap. With a 4 speed you are probabaly not going to notice an intake swap as much as if you had an automatic car. I run a Weiand Stealth and have had pretty good luck with it.

Old 11-18-2001, 09:25 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The floor of the the Torker II is too flat.I don't know your combination but a Torker II w/ auto and 3.08 gears is not the ticket.A 10.1 383 w/AFR 190 heads,hydraulic roller cam,750 Holley DP and Performer RPM can make 490hp @5700 rpm if that helps give you an idea what a RPM manifold is capable of.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:45 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer (mountainmotor)

A Weiand "Action Plus" Dual Plane helps dig me out decently :yesnod: :flag
Old 11-19-2001, 10:39 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Sounds like my engine. The guy I bought it from put a pretty big cam in it and it's all high end power and not much low end torque. It had a Torker II on it when I bought it.

I picked up a Performer and did a swap. I've actually swapped back and forth a couple times. Honestly, I can't tell a difference. There might be a LITTLE more bottom end on the Performer, but the way the engine is set up it'd be hard to tell for sure.

I've got the Torker on now and the Performer in the garage waiting for the day when I do get a new cam for it.

Dave
Old 11-19-2001, 06:34 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer (MoMo)

MoMo, I'm building a 454 much like bence's, and I just exchanged some email with him today. One of my questions was why he chose the Torker II over the Performer. After I asked that I checked Summit and then I remembered people had mentioned the Torker II would fit under a stock BB Corvette hood. I thought I was going to have to change the hood, which was an expensive I wasn't prepared for right now. (Definitely will soon though) So now I'm thinking the Torker II is the right choice for my engine as well.

My only question is, if the Torker II is a single plane that is a little bit more suited to mid-to-high rpm torque, then do you sacrifice some low end in the big block? Or do the 454 cubes make up for it? Basically I don't want to sacrifice off the line torque, but I dont think I would with the big block.

Get notified of new replies

To Torker II vs. Performer (2101)

Quick Reply: Torker II vs. Performer (2101)