C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 10:13 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Default hit a deer

I was traveling on a dark highway and for some reason I was being careful and looking for deers. (weird). Anyway, this highway ended and I exited onto a well lite, well traveled, interstate. I no sooner got on the road and there it was. right in front of me. Hadn't hit 4th gear yet ,so I wasn't going that fast. I just couldn't get out of the way. Hit the brakes and the deer! The deer went sliding along the road, and I think it got up and ran. The car was still running fine and my lights were on but now searching the sky for ufo's. I wasn't far from home so I kept driving.(I think I was afraid to stop and check the damage).
Finally got in the garage and was surprised when I got out to check the damage. The bumper looked fine. Those "70 only grilles" hadn't been damaged. The driver's headlight was broke, (but functional).The right side lights were gone, along with the bezel, and the headlight door was history.
The deer must have kicked the door and it bent up into the top surround fiberglass. Sems to have bent the steel beam because the glass is rippled on the right side. The top of the front surround on the right side where it meets the front edge of the hood is lower by 1/2".
As for the repairs, I have the light covered with new pieces. I even have another metal bezel with the washer holes. The thing I'm no sure of is the steel beam under the front surround. I think it's glued on. Anyone had experience with this piece? PITA or what?
All in all it could have been much worse. I guess the old glass body is pretty tough.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:09 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: hit a deer (dennis)

At least your OK, the car can be fixed.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:38 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: hit a deer (Gordonm)

Sounds like you were lucky! And you were on an INTERSTATE highway, right? Every time I read about somebody's late night highspeed run I think about deer. I used to be guilty of this myself. I drive home from NY at 4 am (not in a corvette) but used to regularly take it up to 110 or so on a long flat stretch of I-78 (before the I - 124 split at Summit if you know the road). Then for no particular reason I thought how stupid that was with all the deer around, so I stopped doing it. MJ
Old 11-18-2001, 10:17 AM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: hit a deer (MNJack)

MnJack

I know that area of 78. That's the only place I've ever seen overpasses for the wildlife.(trees, rocks and shrubs)
I was coming off rt18 onto 195 near Belmar
Old 11-18-2001, 04:51 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: hit a deer (dennis)

Oh Dennis! How awful. :( At least your grilles are intact!!!!! That's certainly the pricey part. :eek: T-3 headlights are still around and I found one of the metal light bezel pieces at Carlisle last year for like $40, so they can't be all that rare. Sorry I can't help you with what's underneath / inside that area since I haven't done any work in that area of the car. There are a few other pretty active registry members in the midst of frame off restorations so if you want some contacts to talk with (maybe get photos from!) give a holler. Is your insurance company being good about it? Good Luck! ~Juliet

Get notified of new replies

To hit a deer

Quick Reply: hit a deer