C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on installing dual electric fans????

Old 11-17-2001, 08:50 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Advice needed on installing dual electric fans????

Scored dual electric fans from a 95 Trans Am for $50.00. I am trying to install these but not sure I have correct aftermarket parts. I purchased an adjustable thermostat with temp sensor and 30 amp relay. Do I run the 12v supply to the relay and then to thermostat to fan wiring harness? I think I would do the reverse for ground; ground from fans to thermostat to relay? Does this sound even remotely correct? Do I also need a switch or does the thermostat act as the switch? The directions that come with the thermostat kit are really bad! A little assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-17-2001, 09:16 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice needed on installing dual electric fans???? (Jim73)

Mount the relay on the fender well near the alt. Run you main power lead(fan supply the fat wire) to the bat. wire on the alt. Wire it through a 30amp breaker. There should be a wire that goes to your sensor. It could be a two wire sensor or a one wire sensor. Does the sensor probe through the rad. or screw into the water jacket? Just tryin to get more info on yur kit. Anyway, the other hot lead( the smaller one)...hook it to at 12 volt source that only comes on in the key on posistion, and the backwards acc. posistion. This wire feeds power to the relay. It controlls when the fan will operate, regardless of what the engine temp is. When you connect it as i have described, the fan can be turned on in the acc.( engine not running) posistion. This can help for quick cool downs between runs if needed. I found that a wire in the windshield whiper circut directly behind the dist. was appropriate for this connection as it is located underhood and is hot in both the run and acc. positions. Hope this can help you some. I hate toose messed up instructions that you get sometimes :crazy:
Old 11-17-2001, 09:33 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Advice needed on installing dual electric fans???? (Jvette73)

Thanks for the quick response. This kit is the probe type that installs between the fins of the radiator. Do you think the water jacket sensor type is any better?

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-18-2001, 12:24 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

Here is the wiring diagram from my Spal kit. The sensor I used screwed into the bolc. I took my fan power off the positive battery lead on the starter. I think that is better than the alternator at idle.

Old 11-18-2001, 09:19 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Advice needed on installing dual electric fans???? (SteveG75)

Thanks for the diagram. It will really help.

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-18-2001, 12:31 PM
blu73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look in the Tech Tips section. I submitted a description of what I did to install a Flex-a-lite dual fan kit that shows both the probe type thermostat that came with the kit and a water jacket type sensor that I added.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed on installing dual electric fans????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on installing dual electric fans????