C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cops gave me a warning today

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 12:24 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Cops gave me a warning today

seems a neighbor or 2 does not like the sound from the Dynomax turbo mufflers on the 72. Since i only drive it once a week i was surprised that a 10 am blast in 1st would bother anybody.
In '95 i was assessed $1600 to pave the street, so i have been getting my moneys worth by flooring it for 200 feet and using compression braking to slow. i guess that upsets some.
My next door neighbor told me she liked the sound of the 61 better than the 72. So maybe the 72 sounds abrasive.
Anyway the cop says he couldn't catch me :lol: since i never exceeded about 47mph i resisted the urge to suggest he get a tune up :lol:
Anyway a yellow louder than it was vette sure is hard to convince anyone i was not going fast.
Well, at 49 i feel like a kid again :jester

......so i asked my neighbor Rick why the cop was talking to him for 10 minutes before he left. The cop said he was following me on atlantic ave. and i passed a truck and said corvettes can be hard to get a fix on with radar, but he was sure i was speeding, then i took a right and he said i took the corner too fast and that if i did that again he would give me a ticket :cry After hearing Rick's report, i doubt anyone complained.

i don't know how far back he was following, cause i had the car parked in the garage when the cop knocked at the house door.

[Modified by drives61, 11:04 AM 11/17/2001]
Old 11-17-2001, 01:37 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Cops gave me a warning today (drives61)

LOL! :D Sounds like they are on the look out for your '72.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:20 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: Cops gave me a warning today (bence13_33)

bence
could be!
A few years ago i pulled out of a parking lot from a stop with the steering wheel hard right. Was not in a hurry, but the tires squealed and a cop heard it i think. I saw him way back in my mirror, so i detoured thru a development, came in a back way and lost him (without speeding). i did not drive it for a month to let it cool off! :D

he could still be looking for that elusive vette :blueangel:
Old 11-17-2001, 02:33 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

The reason the cop said he couldn't get an accurate reading on his radar is because the characteristic of radar is to hit the largest object first, so if you're passing a semi-truck or something, the radar has a hard time hitting the little car next to it, ie. your corvette. If you were to ever get a ticket while passing a truck, you can go to court and use the defense of a characteristic and the innacuracies of radar to get you off. That works about 85% of the time, or so i've been told :)
Old 11-17-2001, 03:56 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: Cops gave me a warning today (theanswriz42)

steve
sounds like good advice, except i passed a compact SUV that was doing 35 in a 45. i think the problem was nobody was speeding and he couldn't believe it.
This is perhaps the only problem with the car hobby; build a fast looking car and if you pass somebody or go around a corner at 20-25 where everyone in else goes 15-20, then you are a menace.

........just venting......

But i have to admit the FL cops are pretty nice, i got 2 warnings in 12 years; in NJ i got stopped 3 times in 1 day, and 1 ticket. Glad i moved out of that annual inspection nightmare state.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:22 PM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes are known to have a low radar profile, kind of stealth technology. The fiberglass body does not give much of a radar return and the angled radiator in front reflects much of the beam in an upwards direction. Car & Driver did a radar test in the mid 70's and mentioned this. Think of a Corvette as a F 117 on four wheels :)

They are also known to have a area near the spare tire where an ENTIRE police cruiser can hide. You can test this fact by traveling in a pack of cars going 10 miles over the limit and when a police cruise shows up, he will be right behind YOU!

Corvettes have always attracted attention, good and bad. That is something we have to live with. When I need to go somewhere in a hurry, I never take the Corvette. I attracts the most attention and is not the fastest anyway (my MB 560 SEC or '73 Buick with 455 blow it away on the top end), I normally take my 97 Volvo 960 Wagon. That is a real sleeper and who expects a Volvo to be going fast, they are all owned by tree huggers after all. :)

But nothing beats the Vette for FUN FACTOR.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:57 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

:nono: :D :nonod: :yesnod: :lol: Careful out there ;) .
Old 11-17-2001, 10:15 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cops gave me a warning today (gerry c)

They are also known to have a area near the spare tire where an ENTIRE police cruiser can hide. You can test this fact by traveling in a pack of cars going 10 miles over the limit and when a police cruise shows up, he will be right behind YOU!
:lol:

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 6:16 PM 11/17/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Cops gave me a warning today

Quick Reply: Cops gave me a warning today