C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mrvette's rack and pinion pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 09:13 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default mrvette's rack and pinion pics

doin a favor for the man...sorry about the size

mrvette's home page... http://home.att.net/~ncmpics/mrvette.htm

[Modified by 71roadster, 7:22 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 09:37 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: mrvette's rack and pinion pics (71roadster)

So now I'm trying to decide if I should pay the $1000 or do it myself ???

Hmm, Steeroids, $1000 bolt it on

(using my normal cost multipliers and labor rate )
Myself, >$1000 a couple weeks of work...
Old 11-16-2001, 09:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: mrvette's rack and pinion pics (427V8)

Jim Shea and I exchanged emails on the two designs, he probably has not seen my pictures yet, as they just hit the wire, so to speak....but he and another engineer that did the saab/grand am rack design passed on that it's their belief the steeroids design puts maybe too much twisting loading on the travelor car in the slot, causing undue wear on the rack.....if you look at it, that comment makes sense, and is why I kept the tie rod ends and the CTO in line,
I had to reorient the tie rods up at 45* from the original install/machine work by cutting the steel and rewelding it so as to raise the tie rod ends for ground clearance...saving about 2" worth, beleive it or not....;-)))

Jim did comment that having unequal tie rod lengths will make for bad bump steer charactoristics....I"m sort of hoping the effect will be minimal as the length is so long....21.5 inches pass side...and 19.5 inches driver's side....
but IF there is a problem, the steel block will be extended on pass end to then shorten the tie rod.....oh well, live and learn....

you can see from the pix that I cut a semi-circle out of the backside of the engine mount, but it's thick enough, I think and won't miss the metal...
that was to get the rack input enough vertical so using only two stock type universal joints at mild angles.....I feel with the double collapsing linkage there, the steering wheel is safe....everything being off on an angle too, instead of head on, like the original box.....

notice on the pass side the extra welding on the one inch angle iron, to move the bracket inboard so it misses the rack plumbing....
notice the boxed one inch angle iron on the drivers' side, and in fact it's angled toward the rear of the car, and another piece of angle is welded on the outer side, moving the rack one inch to the driver's side....pulling the input shaft away from the headers....
I used 14 mm steel rod for the tie rod collar insert pieces, 9/16 ths would have been a more perfect fit.....

I can at some point take this all apart and publish a sketch of the brackets, I think the requirements of the center adaptor steel block are self evident...as will be your final tie rod lengths....

Like Jim and his friend, I like using GM style tie rod ends....proof is everyone uses that style.....
GENE
Old 11-16-2001, 10:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: mrvette's rack and pinion pics (mrvette)

71, Sorry, I forgot to thank you straight away for your help on posting those pix.....thanks muchly....

GENE
Old 11-16-2001, 10:28 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: mrvette's rack and pinion pics (mrvette)

from the pics your setup looks significatnly higher also???

Old 11-16-2001, 10:46 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: mrvette's rack and pinion pics (daily_driver)

Well the engine is out, so I can't say for sure, but from the pictures and just swag on by looks....I"d say so....now by the measure off the centerline of the engine mounts, there is plenty of clearance, but I may have to move the lines running on top of the rack, no sweat really....toward the rear, it's well forward of the pan drop.....I should have an inch of clearance to the top of the rack, from the pan....

I shall see in a few months, when I get the engine back....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To mrvette's rack and pinion pics

Quick Reply: mrvette's rack and pinion pics