C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dunno why I didn't think of this before

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Dunno why I didn't think of this before

Still trying to come up with the perfect air induction system.

had a good start with the remote air filter can and the throttle body plenum, but it made accessing the drivers side plugs 'n stuff a real pain.

Bought one of those Ram Air boxes in that takes a regular 14" by 3" AF,and then has a fiberglas surround to duct to a cold air source.

But, to make it work with the stock 1961 FI air inlet by the rad support was going to take some fiberglas work on the air box to make the 6" by 4" air inlet on the Ram Air box go to a smooth transition 4.5" round to connect ducting to.

i had a vision of what i needed to do to the ram Air box, but wasn't sure of the execution.

Then it hit me:

Go to the local craft store and buy a chunk of 6" by 12" by 12" open cell hard styrofoam, and shape it with a rasp to blend the 4.5" round duct feed into a nice smooth transition to the air box, then cover the styrofoam with plastic grocery bag material and start laying the fiberglas over the plastic covered foam core, then go in later with a screw driver and just break the styrofoam into powder and pull out the bag liner.

That styrofoam idea would have saved me a lot of work had I thought of it when I was doing body reconstruction, it is cheap, real easy to shape and would have worked as an excellent inner form piece for some of the body areas I had to rebuild. Just duct tape it in place from behind, after covering with plastic grocery bag material, and lay in the first layer of glas until it is hardened, then complete the glas build, and shape to conture.

Doug
Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 AM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How about doing the old "Thunderbolt" trick of using one of your headlight buckets!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats how we made this air box back in the late 90's. We used epoxy resin instead of polyester. It takes less layers and is much stronger.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 AM
johnnyta
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job looks like it came right off the store shelf
Old 10-25-2007, 07:16 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I use high density foam (insulation board) to make all kinds of fiberglass pieces. If you need a really smooth surface, use body filler on top of the foam. If you want to save yourself a lot of sanding, you can have smooth surfaces on both sides by making a fiberglass "female" mold on top of that and creating your own "press molded" pieces.

Charles
Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Vette-66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Still trying to come up with the perfect air induction system.

Bought one of those Ram Air boxes in that takes a regular 14" by 3" AF,and then has a fiberglas surround to duct to a cold air source.

But, to make it work with the stock 1961 FI air inlet by the rad support was going to take some fiberglas work on the air box to make the 6" by 4" air inlet on the Ram Air box go to a smooth transition 4.5" round to connect ducting to.

Doug

Perhaps a transition piece could be made for you or a custom air cleaner to fit your situtation.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Dunno why I didn't think of this before

Quick Reply: Dunno why I didn't think of this before