C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Lights Don't work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 11:23 AM
Koz

Default Backup Lights Don't work?

I went to backup last night and noticed my backup lights were not working.. I checked the manual and it said that the lights are on the same circuit braker as the signal and the signals work fine. Is there a BU switch under the console. I don't remember seeing anything there.. It is a 4speed. I got under the car this morning and didn't see anything on the tranny around the shift rods so I could use some help..
Old 11-16-2001, 11:29 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (Koz)

On my 69 4sp which may not be the same as your 80, the BU switch is on the drivers side of the tranny. If you need the part it isn't cheap either! :nonod:
Old 11-16-2001, 11:34 AM
Koz

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (Marks69BB)

I read something like that in the service manual but when I got under the car there was nothing there.. No wires around the shift rods at all?
Old 11-16-2001, 11:43 AM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got finished replacing mine on a '69. If it's the same as the '80, you need to look forward of the shift rods on the driver's side of the tranny. The switch sits behind a bracket and has a small linkage connecting it to the reverse gear rod. Mine had a set of green and red wires leading up to the front of the firewall.
Hope it helps...
:cheers:
-Tom
Old 11-16-2001, 12:31 PM
Koz

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (427_Roadster)

Thanks.. I think the 80 is different. I have three rods connecting to the tranny.. 1/2, 3/4 and reverse. They are individual rods. I didn't see any additionl linkage connected to them. That's why I was wondering if it could be under the console somewhere. Any 80 owners out there that have been here before?
Old 11-16-2001, 12:52 PM
Corvettebear13
Racer

Just a friendly reminder to check your bulbs
That was my problem and I checked them last!
:chevy
Old 11-16-2001, 01:42 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

The backup circuit on my 72, my old 66, and my neighbor's 73 is located on the drivers side of the transmission, in the vicinity of the side inspection plate. It is a small switch that is activated by a thin rod from the linkage. It connects to the car's electrical system via a two-wire connector. Check your Assembly Instruction Manual or your GM Chassis Service Manual for the wiring diagram. Perhaps the 80's used a different set-up. The two manuals I mentioned will be your best friend once you start using them a lot.
Gary
Old 11-16-2001, 04:42 PM
Koz

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (GaryS)

It's possible that Bubba was under my car. I looked around this morning but didn't see anything resembling the book or what's been described. No linkages connected to the BU rod.. BUT I do remember seeing a plug around the front of the tranny and wondering what it was for. I can't honestly say I ever remember seeing these lights work.. BUT how could it have passed inspection if this switch was removed and why would Bubba remove it instead of disconnect if it wasn't working. This could turn into a bigger can of worms..

2 questions: If I just jump the plug (once I'm sure it's the right plug) with a piece of wire the lights should work.. the BU switch just makes the connection.. nothing else..right?
Second: If I put the car in reverse and turn the key on.. not running.. just in on position.. should the BU lights come on? I'm working with a Kwiklift which is great but putting a running car in reverse while it's up on a lift doesn't make me feel too comfortable.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:19 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

You don't need the car running to check the lights. Turn the ignition to run but NOT start and then look at your lights. The worst that happens is a slight battery drain. I THINK (qualifier here) that all the switch on the tranny did was to connect the two wires. Put the car in R and the lights came on. Put it in any other gear and the backup lights go out. Do you have an AIM? If not, does anyone on this thread have an 80 AIM that they can scan to send to Koz? That will be the definitve proof that your car does or does not have this backup switch.
Gary
Old 11-16-2001, 08:19 PM
lou
Racer

Koz, I have an 80 4 speed. Here's what it should look like lou
Old 11-19-2001, 11:11 AM
Koz

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (lou)

Lou,
Thanks for the picture.. Where did you get it? My AIM stinks..
Just as I thought.. Bubba was there.. With the Kwiklift I can see everything under this car and I found the switch and all the parts, bracket, linkage, etc... disconnected and rapped around my brake lines just sitting there. I used a piece of wire and first tested the circuit.. Lights came on. First breath of relief. Then I took the switch..I noticed there was a brake in the wire about half way between the connectors so i cut it, cleaned all the crud off.. and stuck the wires in car side of the connector. Lights on, lights off.. switch works.. I went to reinstall and decided that this was a good time to fix the lip seals on the shift rods since this switch sits right underneath one of the leaks.. Now I can't find lip seals..!! but my backup lights will work once reassembled. Thanks for everyone that helped!
Old 11-20-2001, 03:04 AM
lou
Racer

The pic is straight out of an assembly manual for an 80 vette. These are very detailed and help quite a bit. Some things are vague, I think it's because they were assemblies built off the assembly line. A good exampl is the intrument clusters and basic engine. Is by far my best reference. lou
Old 11-20-2001, 09:45 AM
Koz

The pic is straight out of an assembly manual for an 80 vette.
Where did you get your assembly manual. I purchased one and the pictures stink. Looks like someone made a copy from a copy from a copy about 25 copies deep.. Clarity and detail is just not there.. I also heard someone a while back say to get the index with the AIM. Mine didn't have any index but they said it was an original AIM manual.. NOT!!!
Old 11-20-2001, 09:59 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

2 questions: If I just jump the plug (once I'm sure it's the right plug) with a piece of wire the lights should work.. the BU switch just makes the connection.. nothing else..right?
Second: If I put the car in reverse and turn the key on.. not running.. just in on position.. should the BU lights come on? I'm working with a Kwiklift which is great but putting a running car in reverse while it's up on a lift doesn't make me feel too comfortable.
Yup and yup.

Bubba decided that my car would be better of without a backup switch ont he trans. I located the underhood connector that the switch was supposed to be hooked up to. Fed a pair of wires to it and connected them to a toggle switch under the dash. I now have BU lights. They're manually operated, but it was a cheaper solution for now than replacing that switch (which is EXPENSIVE!).

Just the ignition on will give power to that circuit. :yesnod:
Old 11-20-2001, 10:00 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

...where did you get it ....
I got mine at a car show.....

then I put it in a book and placed the sheets in protective sleeves... :crazy: pain in the rear...its 500 pages...double sided though... "whew"

works great now cause I can use it with all grubby /stained /dripping oil fingers and just wipe clean...rather than get them all smudged up !

:D :D :D

[Modified by ylose, 8:02 AM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 10:09 AM
Koz

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (ylose)

Can you.. or someone scan the cover page. I'm looking for some way to identify it cause what I purchased was supose to be an original AIM manual.. and I don't believe it is..
Old 11-20-2001, 10:22 AM
Koz

Lou,
You've probabbly seen this thread already: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=186373

Is this the same book you purchased?

Get notified of new replies

To Backup Lights Don't work?

Old 11-20-2001, 10:47 AM
Koz

Default Re: Backup Lights Don't work? (ddecart)

Yup and yup.

Bubba decided that my car would be better of without a backup switch ont he trans. I located the underhood connector that the switch was supposed to be hooked up to. Fed a pair of wires to it and connected them to a toggle switch under the dash. I now have BU lights. They're manually operated, but it was a cheaper solution for now than replacing that switch (which is EXPENSIVE!).
That was my first knee jerk reaction.. just add a switch under the dash.. I did that with the aux. backup lights on my Suburban.. works great... I found a guy that wanted $150 bucks for the setup and another that wanted $35. I was going to go for he $35 used until I found everything under the car.. just not where it's supose to be... :lol:
Old 11-21-2001, 02:43 AM
lou
Racer

Mine does have a blue cover page like those. Its been three years but I'm pretty sure I got mine from Riks corvette. You should order one and if its not a good quality repro, you can call them and send it back. If you press the issue, they will cover the return shipping charges too. lou
Old 11-21-2001, 09:13 AM
Koz

Thanks for the help and the info!

Quick Reply: Backup Lights Don't work?