C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 05:25 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs.

Here in Australia some companies have nothing specific for Corvettes in their parts catalogues, but I'm sure if we could tell them that the parts we want are common to other particular Chevs of that era I'm sure we could find the bits we need through a little deductive reasoning.
I know there is a book published out there somewhere that specifically deals with this subject.
My particular need at the moment is finding replacement discs for the front (and possibly rear) of my 77. During my recent front end rebuild I found that the discs were under the manufacturers's limits. So with this need in mind I'd like to go one step further and buy a higher performance disc than is presently on the car.
There is no shortage of high performance parts manufacturers here in Oz so it's just a matter of pointing them in the right direction.
Can anyone help at all?

[Modified by Brutus, 7:27 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 10:19 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (Brutus)

ADP Hollander makes an interchange book.
But I just looked at the front suspension and the only interchange is the spindle. It was used on the 69-70 full size Chevy's.

I think Full size means Impalla, Caprice...

The disks were not listed as interchangeable with anything :(
Old 11-16-2001, 05:12 PM
Brutus
Drifting

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (427V8)

Keith...Not really what I wanted to hear, but pretty much what I expected.
Oh well at least I tried.
Thanks anyhow.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:26 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (Brutus)

I did a study on finding replacement parts for the steering column and switches. I know that you guys down there probably don't have a lot of junk yards full of 1975 Olds 98s or Cadillac DeVilles but you may have some old C/K trucks with tilt columns. Anyway, you might be interested in my paper at Terry Rudy's websight: http://www.corvettefaq.com. Look under Suspension and Steering. The very last paper Where to Get Replacement Steering Column Parts.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:59 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (427V8)

If the discs are not interchange with anything, that leaves my buddy out, as he has a '68 GTO with front disc brakes, and he was eyeing my car the other day, wondering if rotors/calipers from one end or the other would fit his super-duper-rare setup.....

MY comment here is that if the front spindles fit a B body chevy, the will fit any B body of same/similar era....so the question is, IF that is true, then the front disc caliper mounting brackets and calipers and rotors/bearings have to fit also, then just use the vette knuckle in stock form....
bet it interchanges easily.....I know the tie rod ends do.....
bet it's the same, as a old A body GTO/Chevelle is the same as a F body, just swap the parts right to left.....largely.....I MAY be rong on the A arms, but I don't think so.....

GENE
Old 11-18-2001, 04:50 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (mrvette)

Gene...I'd really like to have someone proove you right and come up with a positive experience or two. That's what we need to solve this question of cross compatability.
Old 11-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "think" the rear calipers were also used on those precious few 1969 Camaros with the 4-wheel disc brake option, but that's about it. This is the main reason the Vette was so expensive, not a whole lot interchanged with anything.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:06 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (Allan71)

You know the more I think about this, the more I think that the Hollander is just a crossreference of GM par numbers and with a little thought a person could use a rotor from another car, by using bearings from yet another car...
Old 11-18-2001, 10:24 PM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,I am told that the calipers are not exactly reproducible but any good brake place can repair.....the rotors are apparently interchangeable with odd things here......with these parts,Hoppers Stoppers in melb have lots of info...i cant remember the owners name off the top of my head,but he is an old corvette guy with lots of access to parts.........apparently it isnt hard to uprate them so long as originality isnt an issue......by the way how did corvettes at fox go?.......john :chevy
Old 11-19-2001, 08:50 PM
Brutus
Drifting

Default Re: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs. (jdunne)

Thanks John...I've written to Allen at Hoppers Stoppers before but a year or so back. I'll ask him what he thinks. Originality is certainly not one of my concerns as you've probably gathered by now.
The show at Fox studios went pretty well. I managed 2 x 3rd place trophies. Paint and engine bay. The one for paint was unexpected, but I did think I'd place better in the engine bay class.
You have to wonder tho when one of the judges gets first place!

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs.

Quick Reply: Suspension/brake parts Vettes have in common with other Chevs.