C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 Frame Rust Cutting & Rail Welding - Photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,959 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Default 1964 Frame Rust Cutting & Rail Welding - Photos

There have been a few posts here requesting info on the frame rail replacement kit and the installation process - thought I'd post a few photos of the process in a new post so people catch it...

This is the rear frame kit from Paragon. Installation was pretty straight forward with normal metal working tools and some welding ability. Fit was very good, and all parts needed for the job were included. I also ordered and installed the seat belt attach bracket (the triangular pieces).

Body has to be off the frame, so here it pops off after about an hour's worth of prep, bolt cutting, and disassembly:

I built a simply dolly for the body - it makes things much easier. Here the body is being lowered onto the dolly for storage and body work:

The entire IRS rear end comes out of the frame as a single assembly - just a few bolts and the whole thing comes out. Roll it to the side for later disassembly:

Here is the bare frame after an afternoon of disassembly work - not much to it:

Passenger side rust area - looks pretty nasty:

Driver’s side rust area - you can see daylight through the frame:

After sandblasting, I welded in 4 stiffening bars to the frame. Bars are 2"x2" mild steel tubing so the frame won't move after cutting:

Here is the first frame cut - check out all the rust pieces falling out of the piece that dropped to the floor:

Once the rough cut was made, the final trimming, cutting and prep was done to fit the new repro pieces - here it's ready for triming and fitting:

The new pieces clamped and tack welded in position. Fit is very good:

Driver’s side all welded in – the stiffening bars were kept in place until all work was completed, and only one side was cut at a time:

Finished driver’s side:

I used a chainfall to flip and rotate the frame by myself. If you have a helper, 2 people can do the flipping and handling:

After welding, I shot the frame with DP40LF epoxy primer and used catalyzed Delstar DAR9000 (gloss) for final finish. Complete final assembly to create the rolling chassis took one weekend of beer drinking and wrenching:

I'm too cheap to buy the stencils for the serial numbers, so I made my own stencils and shot all the numbers onto the frame:

Piece of cake!

Last edited by lars; 10-22-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Hey Lars

Hi

Nice work!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM
sedowney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pic's Lars, I appreciate the info. And topical, what with the poll I put out there.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

Lars it's good to see you still working on Goldmember.... So what power plant is going to reside between the frame rails?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Good sequence of photos!

How is the birdcage? IMHO that's the big problem!

Bud.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Looks good Lars, I haven't seen you post you must be busy. There is a vette shop here that does that without removing the body. They jack it hihg enough to work on it. Somewhere in my pile of vette mags from the past 30 years I have an issue showing this process. I think I'd pull the body as you did.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lars,
You make it look WAY too easy! Please tell us that you run into the same kind of problems we do.......like your welder craps a part right in the middle of the job, the water heater in your house starts leaking the day you finally have time to work on the car

Excellent job as usual, look forward to following your progress on this build. We miss seeing you post on the C2 forum......always good info and fun.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 AM
MACMILLEN65
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
There have been a few posts here requesting info on the frame rail replacement kit and the installation process - thought I'd post a few photos of the process in a new post so people catch it...

This is the rear frame kit from Paragon. Installation was pretty straight forward with normal metal working tools and some welding ability. Fit was very good, and all parts needed for the job were included. I also ordered and installed the seat belt attach bracket (the triangular pieces).

Body has to be off the frame, so here it pops off after about an hour's worth of prep, bolt cutting, and disassembly:

I built a simply dolly for the body - it makes things much easier. Here the body is being lowered onto the dolly for storage and body work:

The entire IRS rear end comes out of the frame as a single assembly - just a few bolts and the whole thing comes out. Roll it to the side for later disassembly:

Here is the bare frame after an afternoon of disassembly work - not much to it:

Passenger side rust area - looks pretty nasty:

Driver’s side rust area - you can see daylight through the frame:

After sandblasting, I welded in 4 stiffening bars to the frame. Bars are 2"x2" mild steel tubing so the frame won't move after cutting:

Here is the first frame cut - check out all the rust pieces falling out of the piece that dropped to the floor:

Once the rough cut was made, the final trimming, cutting and prep was done to fit the new repro pieces - here it's ready for triming and fitting:

The new pieces clamped and tack welded in position. Fit is very good:

Driver’s side all welded in – the stiffening bars were kept in place until all work was completed, and only one side was cut at a time:

Finished driver’s side:

I used a chainfall to flip and rotate the frame by myself. If you have a helper, 2 people can do the flipping and handling:

After welding, I shot the frame with DP40LF epoxy primer and used catalyzed Delstar DAR9000 (gloss) for final finish. Complete final assembly to create the rolling chassis took one weekend of beer drinking and wrenching:

I'm too cheap to buy the stencils for the serial numbers, so I made my own stencils and shot all the numbers onto the frame:

Piece of cake!
Looks Great Car is going to be real nice !!!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Very nice. Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Great job. The pics are great.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,959 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
So what power plant is going to reside between the frame rails?
I'm assembling parts for a roller-cammed, AFR, 406. I have a 67 BB hood for the car, so I can run a good intake system to make it all work. Should run pretty strong... Car is going black with red interior and red stinger stripe.
Lars
Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Originally Posted by lars
I'm assembling parts for a roller-cammed, AFR, 406. I have a 67 BB hood for the car, so I can run a good intake system to make it all work. Should run pretty strong... Car is going black with red interior and red stinger stripe.
Lars

Sorry I missed you.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

It's great to see good work done. I bet the finished car will be awesome Lars!

Brett

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Frame Rust Cutting & Rail Welding - Photos

Quick Reply: 1964 Frame Rust Cutting & Rail Welding - Photos