C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 08:45 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money

As you may or may not have read my rear end let go on me. I am going to rebuild my other 3.70 rear and use it. I have the hardened tip stock side yokes in there now but how much power can they take. I am planning on some drag radials next year also. I figure now is the time to do this if I need to upgrade. The old yokes only have about 3k miles on them and are in perfect shape. I don't mind spending the money to avoid more rear explosions but is it necessary.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:13 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money (Gordonm)

Gordon... if the cost difference isnt that much I'd say go for it...consider it insurance!

How's it comming BTW?
Old 11-16-2001, 12:21 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

gordonm,
A friend of mine bought a set from International machine (somewhere in Minnesota,i think) He was not "hard' on his stuff, but he managed to snap one.I think at $200+ EACH they are over priced (but what isn`t) and unnecessary. Int. mach. told him they were "unbreakable" BUT not gauranteed. I never did find out what they said (he sent it back) he passed away almost a year ago. ...redvetracr
Old 11-16-2001, 02:28 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

As you may or may not have read my rear end let go on me. I am going to rebuild my other 3.70 rear and use it. I have the hardened tip stock side yokes in there now but how much power can they take. I am planning on some drag radials next year also. I figure now is the time to do this if I need to upgrade. The old yokes only have about 3k miles on them and are in perfect shape. I don't mind spending the money to avoid more rear explosions but is it necessary.
Gordon,
I was reading about your breakage & I feel your pain. Sorry, I don't have any hard info for you on how much better the hardened yokes are- I'll be watching this post for anybody who has good info. Absent that, I'd probably spring for them anyway. To me, there's nothing more discouraging than broken parts, even if they aren't mine. I'd rather spend more up front than take the chance of injury to my car or myself. Since you enjoy racing, I'd just consider it cheap insurance.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:39 AM
Matter
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money (Les)

Les,

You have a KILLER looking car. I would suspect it's a real killer on the street as well. Congrats on your nice looking ride. :cool:
Old 11-16-2001, 10:13 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money (redvetracr)

Gordon I don't know if there is any garantee(sp?) against breakage if you go with the hardned side yokes or not. It seems that side yokes were a weak link this year on the CF C3's.

Mine could have been a stock 27 year old side yoke for all I know. If that is the case, then it had a pretty good run before breaking. I haven't ran a slick on the car since I've owned it, but I was able to snap it with the ZR 17" tires. I don't know how the car was used/ driven before I got it, but I know it used to have a tunnel ram thru the hood at one time when it was in Florida.

I'm currently in the same boat. I have decided to step up to Tom's 31 spline axles since I'm going to be replacing the axles & posi anyhow. Last year whenI had the new gears installed, my rear cover wasn't broken but with the stock's history, I replaced it with a HD unit while I was there. Preventive action ;) .

Get notified of new replies

To Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money

Quick Reply: Hardened Side Yokes Are They Worth the Money