C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Riser with Side Pipes - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 08:42 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heat Riser with Side Pipes - Yes or No?

I seen a thread a few days ago about removing heat risers. I am in the process of fitting my side pipes. The drivers side fits perfectly but it looks like with the passenger side, the pipe will be too low in front if I leave the heat riser valve in. I only drive the car in 60 degree plus weather anyway so I expect removing it won't hurt anything...am I wrong? Should I remove it or live with the right pipe slightly lower. It is only obvious if you are looking under the car.

[Modified by Binnie77, 8:43 PM 11/15/2001]
Old 11-15-2001, 08:57 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Heat Riser with Side Pipes - Yes or No? (Binnie77)

You won't hurt anything by removing the heat riser. May affect warm up if you have a divorced choke.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:35 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove it!!! It won't do a damn thing except make the car need to warm up a little longer. But if your only driving it in 60+, that shouldn't be a real problem. :cheers:
Old 11-15-2001, 09:53 PM
WATTAC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote to leave it. I have a '69 with side pipes and even though it really only effects warmup, I still installed mine even when the original owner removed it.

The engine was designed to use it. Without it the engine is a "bear" during warmup. And more gas is needed during warmup to keep the engine running, this dilutes oil during warmup, increases wear, and generally isn't good. That's why GM engineers included it with "normal" cars. It's never good to run your car for short periods anyway, so just get use to making good long, warmup runs anytime you start your car. It'll last alot longer anyway.

Just my opinion. I believe in the original engineer's intent.

Also, you may want to reference the AIM as to where and how to cut your body when you install side pipes in a car.

Andy
Old 11-16-2001, 12:17 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Heat Riser with Side Pipes - Yes or No? (WATTAC)

I put anew one in a month ago its almost the same price as the spacer plus car is kept as original as possible.

Get notified of new replies

To Heat Riser with Side Pipes - Yes or No?

Quick Reply: Heat Riser with Side Pipes - Yes or No?