C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 05:16 PM
75SHARK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console?

I know that places like Corvette Central, etc. sell stereos that will fit without any modification, but I was wondering if any stereos sold by retail stores will fit. Or do they require cutting on the console? Also, has anyone heard of the "hidden stereo"...where the stock unit is left in place and disconnected and the functional unit is hidden somewhere out of sight and is controlled by a wireless remote? Corvette Central sells this for about $250. Thanks for any information.

Thanks,

Robby
Old 11-15-2001, 05:26 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console? (75SHARK)

I bought the usa6 from custom auto sound through OCVette. It was about $197. I was very disappointed. It is still in there but all it does now is switch my amp on. I now use a portable cd/fm player plugged directly into the amp. Wish I would have done this to begin with and save all the aggrevation. The thing can't tune a station. You can't read the display unless you put your head against the steering wheel and I never was able to get the whine out of it either.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:35 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console? (Rob's 73)

75SHARK, I have one that fit directly into mine that has corvette lettering on it and a cassette player that I need to sell.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:10 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console? (75SHARK)

There are no radios that fit the stock console except the specially modified ones. The 68-76 consoles are non-standard sized. Those radios in the catalog are $100 decks that they modify and then sell for $250. :crazy:

My solution was to get an extra center console bezel that I can modify for a standard CD player. Cost me $50 to get a used bezel from Pacific Corvette (www.pacvette.com).
Old 11-15-2001, 06:18 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console? (SteveG75)

Like I said, I have an aftermarket radio that I will sell for a lot less than the catalogs and you won't have to modify your bezel
Old 11-16-2001, 02:58 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a bezel on ebay and converted it to a modern system. I still have my original bezel.

or you can go to Dave Smith at Audio Unlimited in Norcross GA. Phone number is (770) 925-7003 and get this:

Hope this helps

Terry
Old 11-16-2001, 06:43 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most good stereo shops wil sell you a 68-76 bezel to make a clean installation. BUT...... the spacing of the ***** is too wide to fit into the original so you need to file it(part of the original bezel). The new bezel covers that so it looks good, you just have to ruin an expensive part. I had Blaupunct in one corvette that was ALMOST a direct fit but it was an oldre model.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:07 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Kenwood at Circuit City (or was it Best Buy?) - it is the same face as the ones in the catalogs, but no Corvette lettering - meaning you'll have to use the "hide the larger hole" bezel that comes with it.

Good news is it cost about 1/2 (or less - if memory serves about $50.00) what those in the catalogs cost.

Old 11-16-2001, 08:36 AM
Maco Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a custom unit in that had a remote 10 disc changer and it was amped up quite a bit. OK, it costs more than $8 bucks, but it looked liked it was made for the car. Hey, if you can afford a vette, then you should be able to put something in it that looks decent. Mine came from CustomAudio and it sounded great! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console?

Quick Reply: Are there any aftermarket radios that fit directly into the console?