C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your parking brake work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 04:57 PM
Koz

Default Does your parking brake work?

I adjusted this once and already it doesn't hold. I'm going to do it again with both wheels off the ground like the book says and if that doesn't work I'm going inside to see wazup... BUT I was talking to a brake guy who said that the parking brake on Vette's never worked right so don't bother. To me, if it doesn't work I'm gonna fix it.. and if it never worked I'm going to figure out what's needed and make it work.. Just wondering if I'm fighting a loosing battle.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:09 PM
Rhubarb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Koz)

My 74 has all new Vette Brakes all around .. and the parking brake will not hold on anything more than a slight incline.

The brakes were on the car when I got it and I have not had the energy to pull the rears apart and look at the parking setup.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:15 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Mine holds great if the car is facing uphill.

It doesn't hold at all if the car is facing downhill...

never quite figured out how a brake can only hold one way. But I haven't looked too deep yet either...
Old 11-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Chris Fowler '80)

Nope, at least not yet...
Old 11-15-2001, 05:25 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I've adjusted mine twice so far & still haven't figured this one out yet :( . It worked pretty good when I first replaced everything with VB's SS P-brake kit until I drove off one day with the brake on :bb . Hasn't worked well since. I will be looking at it again when I put the rearend back in. :rolleyes:
Old 11-15-2001, 05:26 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Wrencher)

Mine works but its weak. The cable has stretched over the years so I'm maxed out on adjustment. Been meaning to get a piece to shorten it but never think about it when I'm at the hardware store - TOOLS! :crazy:
Old 11-15-2001, 05:29 PM
Garys81
Instructor

Well at least I'm not alone on this island!

I've adjusted:rolleyes: , re adjusted:mad , prayed:blueangel: , cursed:reddevil ......and finally just said the heck with it:confused: . My 81 has no parking brake. I'll follow this post and see what info comes up.

Old 11-15-2001, 05:32 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Garys81)

The parking brakes suck on these cars.......Mine does at least..It work....Just not very well...And recently it quit clicking when I raise the handle unless i jiggle the button
Old 11-15-2001, 05:33 PM
johnnyc
Instructor

Mine doesn't hold either. I adjusted the star wheel by the shoes, too far out and they drag quite a bit. When I back them off so there is little or no drag, they really don't hold at all. I also tried adjusting the cable, but I can't get it right. The cable feels like a rubber band, that is the only part of the system I didn't replace. I'll just add that to the list of things to do this winter....
Old 11-15-2001, 06:01 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

WHere did you guys adjust the tension of the wire? Thanks! :)
Old 11-15-2001, 06:04 PM
71stingray454
Instructor

Hi,

My parking brake works on a 0.005 degree incline :rolleyes: . It's been adjusted and re-adjusted but to no avail. It's pretty much useless, but I'm so used to hand brakes I always use it without even thinking :crazy: . Anyway, you're definitely not alone! I'll give it another go since winter is right around the corner.

Mike
Old 11-15-2001, 06:04 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (johnnyc)

......Mine doesn't work at all. I have been thinking about pulling those hubs on my rear wheel to get to the parking brake mechanism, but drilling out those rivets is a lot of trouble. I also wonder if the job is worth getting into, since I have been told by several Vette owners who rebuilt their emergency brakes that they still don't trust it. You can screw around with that cable all you want,but the only way it's going to do you any good is if you tie one end to a tree........ Regards, '74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Perfection" , class of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 10:41 PM 11/15/2001]
Old 11-15-2001, 06:11 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Shutdown1)

Shutdown1,
You got any more pictures of your car?......It sure looks good in the picture on your signature...Aloha from Hawaii......Cappy :seeya
Old 11-15-2001, 06:18 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Does your parking brake work?

Nope, doesn't hold worth anything. I always put it in gear before shutting down.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:27 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Jenny - There should be a long threaded rod just in front of the diff which the cable from your ebrake hooks up to and which is connected to the u-shaped bracket which the cables from both rear calipers loop thru. (Phew, talk about a run-on sentence with alot of 'whichs'!) :jester

Unfortunately, mine is stretched too far for any adjustment and may stay that way since nobody's vette I've ever seen on this forum or anywhere else has one that works well enough to hold the car! :conehead Hell - as long as it will pass inspection I'm happy.

BTW - Your car looks great in your sig - love the color and would like to check it out sometime. Are you going to the Dec 8 dyno day at True Blue. The link is in the Southeast forum. Several of us C3s,4s, and 5s will be there both to dyno and to spectate.

[Modified by Marks69BB, 4:33 PM 11/15/2001]
Old 11-15-2001, 06:35 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Marks69BB)

Hey! Glad to see a fellow raleigh-er!!! I just saw that thread today, i'm gonna check my exam schedule before i know for sure! I saw those cables... they aren't very stiff. There's a little bracket on the bottom that runs a line parallell to the rear axle. well u know what i mean... BTW- do you have any experience in installing a carb? :) I will probably get that done soon after X-mas.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:47 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Aloha Cappy!

I am very flattered, and would be glad to send you some more photos of my car. Most of the ones I have are at work, but I will bring them home tomorrow, scan them and send you some. -Gee, Living in Hawaii must be nice. We have some pretty beaches here in Tennessee too, but the waves don't get as big..........! Like your car too! Kind regards, -PHIL '74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection" . class of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 11:15 PM 11/15/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Does your parking brake work?

Old 11-15-2001, 07:06 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

When I turn my parking brake on, the "brake" light on the dash comes on. But it doesn't work.

BTW, I was planning on taking my drivers license test in my vette, but the people who gives the test check to make sure everything works on the car. i might get lucky though and they might just think my parking brake works since the "brake" light on the dash comes on. what do u think??? :D
Old 11-15-2001, 07:07 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Mine is like Chris's. Works facing uphill but not downhill. Did the adjustment procedure and it works better but not great. Oh, well. It is a 26+ year old car.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:40 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Default Re: Does your parking brake work? (Chris Fowler '80)

Mine holds great if the car is facing uphill. It doesn't hold at all if the car is facing downhill...
never quite figured out how a brake can only hold one way. But I haven't looked too deep yet either...
Exactly the same here.

Quick Reply: Does your parking brake work?