C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a Hot Plug?

Old 11-15-2001, 04:34 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What's a Hot Plug?

My car is running rich.......Should I run hot plugs, and what plugs should I purchase? :seeya
Old 11-15-2001, 06:15 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What's a Hot Plug? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

A A/C 46 is hotter than a 43. I would fix the carb though.Are you using a Quadrajet?What air filter set up are you using?Is the cam stock? An excessivley rich mixture under certain conditions is prone to detonation
Old 11-15-2001, 07:35 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: What's a Hot Plug? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

A hot plug is for a cool engine ie the length of the insulation around the centre electrode is different for different grades of plug. If more of the electrode is exposed then it will get hotter, which helps in igniting the mixture & keeping the plug clean in an engine that runs cool. If an engine runs hot then you'd use a colder plug to keep the electrode temperature down.
Hopefully that's right. It's been a long time since I messed with all that & the two makes of plug I use have opposite numbering systems (one has the numbers increasing as the plug gets hotter, but the other has the numbers decreasing for hottor).
Always make sure that valve/ignition timing, mixture, everything is set up correctly before trying to solve a problem by changing the plug grades. I learnt the hard (expensive) way that just changing to a hotter plug to get a motor to run better might not be the best approach :rolleyes:
I was told to run the coldest plug that will not foul. This approach has worked well for me since I've used it (no more holed pistons!).
:cheers:
Old 11-15-2001, 09:53 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: What's a Hot Plug? (UKPaul)

Not to mention the car will be quicker with a colder plug..but I think that my problem is that I need a fuel pressure regulator...

Get notified of new replies

To What's a Hot Plug?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's a Hot Plug?