C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this thing that is leaking water under my passenger side dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What is this thing that is leaking water under my passenger side dash?

View under the dash

Zooming in, you can see it at the top left

Circular object

What is this thing and why is it leaking water on my ECBM?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Heater core,

Hot water passes through it when your heater is on, fan blows air across it and thats how you get hot air out of your vents.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 PM
aweil
Pro

It doesn't appear to be leaking Dexcool at all.. it looks like the liquid is clear, but I'll go check it again.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 PM
RICorvetteGuy
Instructor

Location: The smallest and most corrupt state in the nation. Rhode Island
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a common issue !!!

Your AC Drain is most likely clogged.

Follow the instruction here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1246715

Thank Bill Curlee for this post....

Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

yup... your utters need cleaned

very common issue. its full of gunk and leaves. might even smell a little better if you clean them things

the utters are the drain for your air intake into the cabin area ( look by the wipers for a air intake grill ). if they are plugged the water fills up and comes into the dash area via the heating/cooling system. the utters are down close to the bottom half of the firewall on both sides. they are fun to find

Last edited by rgtkst; 10-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 AM
strodder1
6th Gear

Default Leak checks

Go to the thread at the top of the forum. Bill Curlee has an excellent write up on leaks. The issue is likely the AC drain tube ( firewall or inner fender).
Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
aweil
Pro

Thanks for the info guys!

My car died on the highway coming back from the LSX shootout in memphis and a lot of weird things happened, one of which was a communication issue in that the DIC couldn't talk to the PCM or any other module. The gauges didn't work, doorlocks and radio wouldn't work, etc. After an hour or so, everything started working again. I'm wondering if water dripping on the EBCM could cause this and after it dried out it started working again?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 AM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aweil
Thanks for the info guys!

My car died on the highway coming back from the LSX shootout in memphis and a lot of weird things happened, one of which was a communication issue in that the DIC couldn't talk to the PCM or any other module. The gauges didn't work, doorlocks and radio wouldn't work, etc. After an hour or so, everything started working again. I'm wondering if water dripping on the EBCM could cause this and after it dried out it started working again?
Yes, water dripping on and around the BCM causes all sorts of electrical problems.

Must correct the problem NOW. The drain for the heater/air cond. box can be identified by a rubber elbow located behind the right (passenger side) head on the engine.

Also clean out the many udders on the engine side of the firewall.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM
aweil
Pro

Pulled the AC drain off, TONS of water came out. It looked like Niagara Falls in my garage!

The carpet is still wet so I pulled it up, going to let it dry for a day or two.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
mdthomas26
5th Gear

Default Fan Motor Quit Then The Leak Started

Hi Everyone, I just bought a beautiful 99 corvette last weekend and last night coming home for a nice night of softball, my wife noticed the leaking just as it is described here.

A couple of other bizare factors though lead up to this...earlier in the day when I pulled in the garage and turned the key off, the fan kept going...I turned the key back on then back off again and the fan motor stopped.

Then just before she noticed the leaking I was getting and tonneau adjar signal on my dash and it would flash back and forth between that and my trip A which I had up to start with. Made sure the tonneau (not sure how to pronounce that) was down good and the message continued.

Then when she noticed the water, I shut the AC off immediately and about five minutes later the tonneau messsage stopped. I sucked up all of the water (I think I caught it quick enough that it didn't soak up to much) out. I pulled the fuse for the blower motor out of it this morning and it appears to be fine. It does have what appear to be some burn looking marks on the blades but it is not popped.

Any thoughts? Do you think all of htis is tied together?

Thanks to everyone that helps out on these types of boards for us rookies!! You guys are GREAT!!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 AM
mdthomas26
5th Gear

So I took my Vette to the dealer and they did a great job and covered everything that was needed to fix it.

However, they did NOT fix one problem that I thought they would uncover in the process. The blower appears to be stuck on the "bi level" setting which blows air on both your feet and out of the vents.

Can anyone tell me if that is a symptom that would require tearing the dash appart? As it stands right now, that is where the dealer that I bought the car from is heading.

Thanks again to all of you for the great help!! I know this is voluntary time and to respond to these things and I appreciate it!!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 344 Posts

Being stuck in bi-level could be a vacuum problem. Bill Curlee has a good post on diagnosis which I found by searching "stuck in bi-level". There were several posts listed.

I do not know how to get you there other than by doing that search, perhaps someone else could clue us both in.

Get notified of new replies

To What is this thing that is leaking water under my passenger side dash?

Quick Reply: What is this thing that is leaking water under my passenger side dash?