C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOUND: Solution That Stops Oil from Being Sucked into the Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default FOUND: Solution That Stops Oil from Being Sucked into the Intake Manifold

Over the past year as I have done HPDE events, I have been plagued by oil being pulled into my intake manifold through the line from the valley cover and the line from the passenger-side rocker cover.

Last Spring I installed a AMW catch can in the line that leads from the valley cover to the PCV valve. With it installed I would find about 1.5 inches of oil the bottom of the can after one day of track time. I would also find that the line from the passenger-side rocker cover to the throttle body would also be wet with oil, and I would consume approximately one quart of oil during the day.

After reading several forum members recommendations, I put together a package that has completely eliminated any oil from reaching my intake manifold:

1) I purchased a set of Smith Brothers restricted oil flow pushrods.

2) I purchased a second AMW catch can and plumbed it into the line from the passenger-side rocker cover to the throttle body.

The following are pictures of the twin catch can package and the inside of the two catch cans after a HPDE day at Grattan. The catch can to the front of the vehicle is attached to the rocker cover. The catch can closest to the cylinder head is attached to the PCV line.

This is a view from the driver's side of the vehicle. Note the small aluminum bracket that holds the two catch cans together and that the inlet of the catch can from the rocker cover line is higher than the outlet at the rocker cover. I belive this is important in order to avoid the siphoning of oil out of the rocker cover:

The next two pictures are views from the passenger-side of the vehicle:

The final two pictures of a top-view of the catch cans; one with the tops on and the second with the tops off. Notice that the catch can from the rocker cover is COMPLETELY dry and that the can from the PCV line has a small amount of oil in it.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

With all of the time and money being spent on catch cans and plumbing can someone tell me what harm is being done to the engine if a little bit of oil DOES get in the manifold?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

It lowers your octane and keeps you closer to detonation not to mention gunking up your intake tract.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
It lowers your octane and keeps you closer to detonation not to mention gunking up your intake tract.
Plus, these are supposed to be DRY manifolds in the first place.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:32 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Plus I dont need anymore carbon on top of my pistons to cause pinging or detonation.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:49 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
Over the past year as I have done HPDE events, I have been plagued by oil being pulled into my intake manifold through the line from the valley cover and the line from the passenger-side rocker cover.

Last Spring I installed a AMW catch can in the line that leads from the valley cover to the PCV valve. With it installed I would find about 1.5 inches of oil the bottom of the can after one day of track time. I would also find that the line from the passenger-side rocker cover to the throttle body would also be wet with oil, and I would consume approximately one quart of oil during the day.

After reading several forum members recommendations, I put together a package that has completely eliminated any oil from reaching my intake manifold:

1) I purchased a set of Smith Brothers restricted oil flow pushrods.

2) I purchased a second AMW catch can and plumbed it into the line from the passenger-side rocker cover to the throttle body.

The following are pictures of the twin catch can package and the inside of the two catch cans after a HPDE day at Grattan. The catch can to the front of the vehicle is attached to the rocker cover. The catch can closest to the cylinder head is attached to the PCV line.

This is a view from the driver's side of the vehicle. Note the small aluminum bracket that holds the two catch cans together and that the inlet of the catch can from the rocker cover line is higher than the outlet at the rocker cover. I belive this is important in order to avoid the siphoning of oil out of the rocker cover:

The next two pictures are views from the passenger-side of the vehicle:

The final two pictures of a top-view of the catch cans; one with the tops on and the second with the tops off. Notice that the catch can from the rocker cover is COMPLETELY dry and that the can from the PCV line has a small amount of oil in it.

Nice job, now remove the catch can from the line between the TB and valve cover and plug the valve cover line and TB line.
Sell the unused catch can and use the money for other mods.
Your fresh air being pulled through the cc is from your breather and the line going to the TB is useless.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

IMO, what's the point of having the PCV at all since you have breathers on there already? Not saying you didn't do nice work, but it seems self-defeating.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

With all due respect, I don't see what the second can has to do with anything. I mean, the first can is obviously catching oil, but the second one is not. I don't think you even need the second one, because if it was doing something, you would at least have oil in it. Maybe your new pushrods helped, but the fact that here is not a single drop in the 2nd can means there's no oil going down that route to begin with. Unless I'm missing something, which, according to my wife, happens all the time!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
Unless I'm missing something, which, according to my wife, happens all the time!

uh, are our wives sisters???
Old 10-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Nice job, now remove the catch can from the line between the TB and valve cover and plug the valve cover line and TB line.
Sell the unused catch can and use the money for other mods.
Your fresh air being pulled through the cc is from your breather and the line going to the TB is useless.
Before I installed the Smith Brothers pushrods and the second catch can I would pull over 1 quart of oil through the rocker cover to throttle body line, with the valve cover breather as you see it.

I suspect that the pushrods are the major change.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

why are you even using an oil breather cap?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:00 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by knowledgefreak
I am wondering this as well. You spent all that time with the catch cans, so why equalize to ambient pressure?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I want to know where I can get the oil breather cap. That thing looks pimp.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I think the use of two catch cans was done solely as a troubleshooting aid; and a slick idea IMO

with a conventional catch can setup... if there's excessive oil in the canister, you really don't know which side the majority of the oil is coming from.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im just guessing here, but i bet that breather is fake
Old 10-14-2007, 12:30 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

I've read of other members that track their cars using restricted pushrods with success. It doesn't sound like you tested the push rods with one catch can. Did you? If not, how do you know one catch can was not sufficient? By the way your post reads, you introduced two unknown variables, instead of one at a time. I'm not picking apart your setup, but I'd like to understand exactly what you did.

Thanks,

by the way, it's a very clean looking install.....nice work
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I've read of other members that track their cars using restricted pushrods with success. It doesn't sound like you tested the push rods with one catch can. Did you? If not, how do you know one catch can was not sufficient? By the way your post reads, you introduced two unknown variables, instead of one at a time. I'm not picking apart your setup, but I'd like to understand exactly what you did.

Thanks,

by the way, it's a very clean looking install.....nice work
Yes, I had two variables in this latest track day to analyze.

I had run the car with a the breather cap, a single catch can on the PCV system hose and a Supporting Vendor had plumbed the hose from the rocker cover over the radiator to the front edge of the air bridge, just downstream of the MAF.

That setup pumped the MAF and the VaraRam air filter full of oil, and the single AMW catch can would also have 1.5 to 2.0 inches of oil in it after one day of HPDE laps.

So, I decided to install the Smith Brother oil flow retricting pushrods. In addition, I had noted where several Forum members had added a second catch can. Another Forum member had installed a second catch can at the end of the rocker cover hose and bolted the can low on the passenber-side frame rail without connecting it back to the throttle body. He had also installed the oil flow restricting pushrods. This member stated that he still filled the catch can on the frame rail with oil every track day. The other individuals stated that they were getting oil in both catch cans after every track day.

I decided to see if the pushrods, in addition to a second catch can mounted so that it's inlet was higher than the outlet of the rocker arm cover hose would stop the oil flow to the throttle body.

It did. The combination of components also reduced the oil flowing into the PCV line catch can by over 90%.

I am going to put the standard rocker arm cover oil fill cap back on the passenger-side valve cover and see if the system still keeps the throttle body dry.

Last edited by Pumba; 10-17-2007 at 07:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To FOUND: Solution That Stops Oil from Being Sucked into the Intake Manifold

Old 10-14-2007, 08:55 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

what is a "standard rocker arm cover oil fill cap"
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

what is a "standard rocker arm cover oil fill cap"
OEM oil fill cap. His is modified for the breather.

Quick Reply: FOUND: Solution That Stops Oil from Being Sucked into the Intake Manifold