C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A transplant question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:58 PM
EclecticGroove
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A transplant question

K,
I was just mulling over what I might want to do when I start working on my car. Now, I was thinking.. how feasable would it be to transplant the Heating AC system from a newer vehicle (basically a wrecked newer anything.. perhaps a mid 90's Vette if I can find one in a junkyard). I know anything is POSSIBLE if not feasible. And would there be any reason why not to do it other than it might be a royal pain in the ****?
The reason I'm even thinking about it is that I can't stand the location of the c3 panel for temp controlls (that little spot is just itching for a good head unit). I was thinking of attempting to move the entire unit anyways, and figure.. why not go the whole nine yards? Most newer panels look better anyways. I was also wondering if I could find a self contained unit that has electronic temp controls (the units that let you set an exact temp). Only problem is, if the unit is tied into the vehicled engine manegement system it's useless unless I take that system with it.. which would prob go bonkers if I put it into a 76 vette... hehe. K, I think that's a long enough question for now.

EG
Old 11-15-2001, 02:12 AM
EclecticGroove
Instructor

Default Re: A transplant question (EclecticGroove)

No one?

Old 11-15-2001, 05:09 AM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

I have no idea how to answer your question but I'd love to know how it turns out if you go ahead and do it.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:28 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your car already has working A/C you can move or modify the controls from a vehicle that had manual A/C. A little planning and engineering required but Hey, you need those skill just to own a C3 and it would be a fun project. If your car doesn't have A/C you would be better to install a unit from vintage air. Converting to factory A/C is a very difficult job.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:46 AM
EclecticGroove
Instructor

yeah, that's another situatuion altogether.
Most vehicles that age (including mine) either have no ac, or the ac has given up on working ages ago. I plan on having the car off the road for some time regardles of whether I do ths or not. I'm still planning out just what I'm going to do with it, and prioritising which ones I want to do. Well, if no one has done it, or has no idea what might happen.. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress if I do it!

EG
Old 11-15-2001, 05:17 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 69 (427 4spd.))with the original A/C retrotitted for 134A and it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To A transplant question

Quick Reply: A transplant question