C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End experts... Side yoke question on late C-3's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 03:54 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End experts... Side yoke question on late C-3's

For some strange reason, GM decided to use two differant side yokes for the 1980 and 1981 models. A light duty yoke for Auto trans cars and a Heavy or Standard duty yoke for manual trans cars. In 1982 they went back to just one, the heavy duty yoke.
I have a 1980 L-82 with auto trans. Due to engine mods done this summer, I baking about 400+ horses under the hood now and would like the confidence of the heavier duty yokes. My question is, what would I need to convert my 1980 side yokes to the heavier manual yokes. I'm getting ready to rebuild my differential now and if there's a benifit to doing this change, this would be the time to do it. Would I need to change out universals or complete half shafts? Opinions???
Old 11-14-2001, 04:43 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Rear End experts... Side yoke question on late C-3's (Strike3)

I don't think you'll have to change anything. I believe the only difference is that the HD units use caps on the u-joints and the regular ones use the C-bolts.

I'm going to be going from the 17 spline to the 31 spline axles in the spring, which requires different (31 spline)posi planet gears. I'm replacing the posi at the same time with a large cross pin to help prevent cracking the posi unit again in the future. This is probably all overkill, but I like doing things only once :( .

You should be fine if you want to add the HD's. :)
Old 11-15-2001, 05:06 AM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rear End experts... Side yoke question on late C-3's (mikeo)

Thanks for the info mikeo. That is one fine looking car you got there.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End experts... Side yoke question on late C-3's

Quick Reply: Rear End experts... Side yoke question on late C-3's