C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 03:34 PM
EIGHTDOLLARS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm...

Is this an item that must be pressed out, or can I disassemble it myself without a press? I ask bc. I am going to send the spindle assembly/wheel bearings to be rebuilt, but I don't want the trailing arm service...just the spindle.

And on the flip side, when I get the rebuilt spindle back can I put it back together myself or does it need to be pressed together?

If I need a press, I know some guys at a machine shop that could press it apart and back together again. Is this a viable approach? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:52 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm... (EIGHTDOLLARS)

Hi Scott,

How's it going? Even though I haven't done this (I sent the whole TAs to Bair's), I believe there's no need for a press, and in fact you can leave the TA's on the car, if you don't want to replace the bushings and stuff, and fight with rusted bolts and shims...

You may have seen this already, but here it goes just in case:
http://www.vansteel.com/Removal/rwbear.html

-Pedro
Old 11-14-2001, 05:17 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm... (EIGHTDOLLARS)

Eightbucks, the two surfaces that contact each other here were "machined" originally. Since they were near perfectly flat, plus the circular part that protrudes slightly into the arm itself over time "carbon fuse" or rust themselves together. Usually, it just takes patience. Don't hammer it bare. Use pieces of wood for the hammer. Heat here also helps, if you have it. You do not need a press either to put the assembly back together. The "four" spindle carrier nuts and bolts will "pull" it into place. You'll need a good torque wrench to get the spindle nut to 100lbs. of ft/torque AFTER you get the spindle carrier back into the trailing arm.

Old 11-15-2001, 04:20 PM
EIGHTDOLLARS
Racer

Default Re: on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm... (Paul Borowski)

Hey Pedro, Paul! Thank you mucho for the information. That's great news. I did not previously have that website, so thank you Pedro.

Things are going fine Pedro, thanks for asking. Looking forward to getting these bearings fixed and the front springs on so I can do some driving!! (yeah, got the rear spring on in a snap, what a difference...just haven't had time for the front yet. New full time job along with classes and a 2 year old son makes for a busy $8!). Thanks again, gentlemen. I'll holler at you later.

Get notified of new replies

To on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm...

Quick Reply: on removing spindle assembly from trailing arm...