C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 AM
blubu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alarm system

I have a 1963 with some nice wiring as far as being cut on.
Its a pretty square car. I want to put a aftermarket alarm in the car no electric door locks. Simple alarm sets horn off when door is opened if not disarmed? I hate to cut harness to install in the dome lite circuit as well as starter kill any suggestions would be apprecaited
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Yea but why??? Car alarms on classic cars are a waste.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
blubu
Racer

Default waste

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Yea but why??? Car alarms on classic cars are a waste.
Please elaborate a little bit? I would like to hear your thoughts please?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Hitch
Race Director

An alarm on one of these cars is about useless. Car alarms are like locks they keep honest people honest. The type of alarm that you are mentioning is nothing but a noise maker. It would be much better to ground one side of the coil to make the car immobile. However than again almost anyone with a small alligator jumper can hotwire your car regardless. Better yet now adays it seems when classic cars are stolen they are simply flat bedded away.

The best defense is to lock the doors and park it in a highly visual area when ever you leave it outside. Dave
Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

JCWhitney sells alarms so simple that I have one contained in a small plastic tool box that will plug into the cigar lighter socket to keep kids away.

They also sell a version that I wired into my car that has many options, but only one that I bought it for - it lets me arm and disarm the car without making noise. If anyone disturbs the car the alarm noise speaker is wired to a cell phone (in the car) that calls me (on the cell phone I carry). The cell phone in the car can be tracked and has it's own backup battery built in.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Dave, someone after your classic will know how to start it and/or will tow it away. However, I too wanted the little piece of mind you get from having an alarm. If nothing else, it may deter a casual thief.

I installed a 2-way pager alarm on my ’66 vert. I went with Compustar Pro and did the install myself. No holes drilled, no wires spliced. I kept the install minimal and almost invisible (the only thing you see is the little antenna behind the rear view and the blinking blue LED in the dash vent. It does not disable the ignition (I saw no point in that). It does however make a heck of a lot of noise (including an siren inside the car), has a shock sensor, tilt sensor, battery backup and the 2-way remote with a pretty decent range - I’d say 1000 feet (even though they claim twice that). If the alarm is tripped or even a warning, my remote goes off and the LCD shows me what’s happening. The signal will not penetrate some buildings but has always worked in simple buildings like restaurants and hotels. One nice feature is that I can press a button on the remote and get a status check on the car (even the internal air temp and the car battery voltage).

Again, nothing beats being smart about where you park and having proper insurance. However, I like the feeling of security (even if it’s minimal) an alarm provides. /joe
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Magic, I was thinking about the same thing with a traceable cell phone in the car. Can you elaborate on how you did that?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
Magic, I was thinking about the same thing with a traceable cell phone in the car. Can you elaborate on how you did that?
Yep, sounds pretty interesting . . .

Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Red63SW
Racer

The best car alarm:

Seriously, though. I read about this is a hot rod magazine about a month ago. Does anybody have any experience with it?

http://gps-snitch.com/
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

I don’t know about this one in particular but I looked a little into GPS trackers and it seemed it would get expensive (you have to check out the fees). You have an initial expense (I saw some for $600) and then you have to buy so many messages. I forget the company I looked at but every time you move your car (whether your alarm is on or not), the system sent you a message. After you used up all of your messages you would by another batch. They had a web site where you could track your car from anywhere in the world. Pretty cool, but pricey. Also, you were married to that company... it they went out of business, your GPS tracker becomes a paperweight.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I can tell you guys from experience that that little blinking red light will deter the usual "smash and grab" azzhat crooks.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:08 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe's66
I don’t know about this one in particular but I looked a little into GPS trackers and it seemed it would get expensive (you have to check out the fees). You have an initial expense (I saw some for $600) and then you have to buy so many messages. I forget the company I looked at but every time you move your car (whether your alarm is on or not), the system sent you a message. After you used up all of your messages you would by another batch. They had a web site where you could track your car from anywhere in the world. Pretty cool, but pricey. Also, you were married to that company... it they went out of business, your GPS tracker becomes a paperweight.
you might try getting an alarm system that powers up the GPS tracker in order to conserve/reduce message activity. The alarm in my car has relays for everything from starter-disconnect to power-windows-up and flash-parking-lights.

I am still waiting for the advance-advertised kids cell phone that parents can track. The cellalarm I use was altered by bustthem.com which is no longer in business. If my cellalarm goes belly up, I can't replace it.

The sad part is that cell phone alarm technology is commonplace elsewhere in the world, but none of the devices that I find for sale on the web use the USA cell frequencies.

PS my alarm also has a flashing red light, which doubles as a door-ajar function when the car alarm is off.

Last edited by magicv8; 10-13-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: ps
Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

I would hate to have my car missing and the GPS wasn’t turned on because the thieves disabled the alarm. I guess you could come up with a way to turn the GPS on if the alarm is tripped and keep it on even if the alarm is bypassed….I would rather keep it simple and have the tracking available permanently… no perfect solution…

Lojack was another option. They now have an upgraded version with a built-in tilt/motion sensor. Lojack will e-mail/call you within one hour if you car is moved without their special key fob being in the car. Not bad (and no fees) but a lot of distance can be covered in an hour. Alarm system with a Lojack seems the best I saw but you are tied to Lojack and you need to be sure the police in your area support it. The kid cell phone with tracking seemed like a good idea.

There is such a thing as overkill. a decent alarm, good insurance and common sense works for now… /joe
Old 10-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Ron78Z&66Vette
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I plan on driving the hell out of my 66 when I get done restoring it. The only real concern I have is how easy it would be to steal. Flatbed, hot wire......whatever. Shouldn't be a problem at all to someone who wants it bad enough and knows what they're doing.

I was considering something along the lines of Lojack or something similar that can track it after the fact. Never heard of the cell phone thing.

I'm open to other options as well.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Hitch
Race Director

The problem with Lojack is that if the Police department decides not to participate ie purchase the equipment then you have no recourse to find your car.. Dave

Get notified of new replies

To alarm system

Quick Reply: alarm system