C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Door (I know not again!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 01:52 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Wiper Door (I know not again!!)

This is an easy one I hope. 71 SB. When I start my car the wiper door opens and then closes. When I shut off the engine the door opens. I can just push it down to shut it without any problems. I have checked the check valve at the intake mainifold and it seems to be working correctly. Any suggestions.
John
Old 11-14-2001, 02:02 PM
Maco Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wiper Door (theandies)

OK you have a problem with one of the valves - It could be the one located on the passenger side behind the inner front fender. You can take it loose and use a power brake bleeder to see if the diaphram is broken. It will interchange with the ones under the nose that work with the headlamps.
It will take a little troubleshooting. Also it could be the one leaking where the right wiper parks against. This could cause it too. Ive fixed the problem like this on a couple of cars before, but I am having a problem remembering which one I replaced ... Man, I hate getting old! Try the one at the wiper arm first.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Wiper Door (Maco Shark)

I agree with Maco. Your most likely culprit is a leaking actuator valve. It doesn't hurt to check the "Okay To Close" switch but that would only be running down the list of possibilities.
:)
Old 11-14-2001, 02:46 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: Wiper Door (Easy Mike)

Thanks guys, The problem is a little different that what I discribed above as I just got caught in a rain shower going to lunch. The wiper door did open then close when I started the car but when I got caught in the rain I turned on the wipers for a few strokes and when I turned them off the door stayed open. I cycled the wiper switch and over ride switch a few time but the door remained open. I have seen this before a while back and had to tap on the electrical/vacuum selonoid mounted to the back of the tach to get it to close. I'll check out the stuff you guys suggested and also remove my selonoid and see if it is any good. I'll keep you posted.
John
Old 11-14-2001, 06:16 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know if it will help but the current issue of Corvette Fever has an article on diagnosing and troubleshooting the wiper door. Basically the same advice as above, but you might want to check it too.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:40 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: Wiper Door (shoptek)

Ya I got that issue, that is when I went out and checked the check valve. I also noticed a vacuum leak sound under the dash when the door was open. I reached under there and put my finger over the open port of the electrical/vacuum selonoid and the door slammed shut. Released my finger and it opened again. I am going to try the suggestion above next week (I have the whole week off for Thanksgiving) and also look into this selenoid also. Keep all the good suggestions coming.
Thanks
John
Old 11-15-2001, 09:56 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a web site for vacuum trouble shooting: http://members.home.net/awsvette/vacuum.htm#top
Hope that helps somewhat.
JoeB

[Modified by woodworkr, 6:59 AM 11/15/2001]

[Modified by woodworkr, 7:03 AM 11/15/2001]
Old 11-15-2001, 02:01 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: Wiper Door (woodworkr)

Thanks. I'll let all of you know what I find. I am going to play with it next week.
John

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Door (I know not again!!)

Quick Reply: Wiper Door (I know not again!!)