C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 09:24 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please

Is this a worthwhile event or just an opportunity for a vendor to sell their wares to a captive audience?

Our club makes two cruises a year and I'm thinking about suggesting the Fun Fest as a destination next year. It's about a 200 - 250 mile round trip from St. Louis, which is about the comfortable limit for some of the older cars.

Yes or no?
Old 11-14-2001, 10:27 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (Neo Fender)

Fun Fest is a great show, I take a vacation day every year to head up. Free food, free shirt, free parking, what more can you ask. Plus I always find stuff in the return bin for about 1/2 price that I need. If you live close I'd say it's a must show, I have a lot more fun there then I do in bloomington.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 11-14-2001, 10:59 PM
FERL 73
Pro

I agree with the Pat. It's a great time. Mid America gives you a free vette t-shirt and lunch is on them. It's not in the dead heat of the summer and it's away from the city. It's interesting to walk through acres of cars. They sell and demonstrate products but that's what they do. They have a portable dyno if your so inclined. You live too close to not go. We go every year. This year they donated some of the proceeds to 9-11 fund. The guy is a class act!
Old 11-14-2001, 11:03 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (FERL 73)

Well worth the trip. The number of cars there is amazing, and there is plenty to do. Not only do you get the free stuff, but you don't get raked over the coals with outrageous prices for the stuff they sell (soda & water for $1.00 for example). This year was my second trip and I expect to make it next year as well.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:42 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry Guys to ask the stupid and obvious question, but I haven't heard of Mid Amreica Fun Fest.

Where and when is it?
Old 11-14-2001, 11:46 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (Rich's75)

It's a two day show held at the Mid America facilities in Effingham Illinois. It's held in mid September. Here's a link to some info about this past Septembers event:
http://www.madvet.com/events/funfest2001-1.html
Old 11-14-2001, 11:51 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (70L46)

Thanks 70. I will try to make it next year. Sounds like a good time. Kinda lost track of things this year, as I am (still) in the process of building a new home.
Any other events still coming up this year in the midwest or south of here?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:24 AM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (Rich's75)

The one event I would recommend everyone attend is the Corvetteforum Cruise In at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky. Check the National Events Section for more details, it is an absolute blast, and is the one "can't miss" Corvette event on my calendar :yesnod:
Old 11-15-2001, 10:01 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live near the Wisconson border in Illinois and this would be about a 260mi one way trip for me. I am considering it but would like to know the dates of the show. The link you provided gave directions etc.. but what are the dates?? Thanks.. I'll post if i decide to go and mabey we can meet and share a brew or two!!
:cheers: :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 11-15-2001, 04:56 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (Silvr77)

I haven't seen anything published yet on the 2002 dates. It is always in mid September, so you could probably narrow it down t one of two weekends. The show is always on Saturday/Sunday, with Saturday being the higher attended day (there is also typically some form of evening event on Saturday)

I think your best bet is to check back at the website frequently for the actual anouncement of the dates :cheers:
Old 11-17-2001, 01:01 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please (70L46)

My wife and I attended the 2000 Funfest. It truly was an outstanding time. With over 8,000 Corvettes in attendance it was a sight to behold. Touring the My Garage Museum and R & D Center was quite interesting. That year the Vetters was invited to the local fairgrounds for a free "CORVETTE CARNIVAL" which had free games, rides and food. The cruise over to the fairgrounds thru the countryside was very cool and the local police had every intersection blocked off so the caravan never came to a stop. You'll never know what you'll see at this show, as we saw a gold C3 convert that was a 4-wheel drive custom. We spent the evenings cruising the local Effingham hotel parkng lots and meeting fellow Vetters. This is one event that we'll return to in the future. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please

Quick Reply: Mid-America Fun Fest - Opinions Please