C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 09:00 AM
British Mark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car.

I am taking out the interior of my car ready for its paint job. I want to do some work on the interior panles ect while it is in the paint shop. I have stripped out everthing up to the centre consul gauge cluster and speedo and tack panel. Can any of these be removed and the car still drive, I only need to travel a few miles, The more I can get off the better.

Thanks Mark.....

1970 coupe.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:27 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car. (British Mark)

Mark,
I don't know how similar our cars are re: wiring, but my '81 had connector problems on the centre gauge cluster which resulted in the electric choke being full on. VERY expensive on fuel! The clock cluster & gauge cluster are really easy to remove once you know how & have had some practice. You could remove all the screws apart from a couple of easy to reach ones in each cluster, so that cluster removal would be a quick job at the sprayers.
What colour did you choose?
Paul
Old 11-14-2001, 09:29 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car. (British Mark)

What ever you do don`t start the car with out the oil pressure gauge connected. You will pump oil right into the car at a pretty good rate. You can remove the oil pressure gauge from the cluster and just connect it to the oil line.
Don`t ask. I filled my original radio.

I wanted a new radio that worked anyway.

I would say you can run with all the gauges removed. Speedo and tach too.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:33 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car. (Eddie 96)

What ever you do don`t start the car with out the oil pressure gauge connected. You will pump oil right into the car at a pretty good rate. You can remove the oil pressure gauge from the cluster and just connect it to the oil line.
Don`t ask. I filled my original radio.

I wanted a new radio that worked anyway.

I would say you can run with all the gauges removed. Speedo and tach too.
ouch

sorry to hear about that, and thanks for the warning

ZD
Old 11-14-2001, 09:58 AM
Bohot
Pro

Default Re: How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car. (Eddie 96)

I have repeated run the '73 with no gauges connected except the oil pressure gauge with no problems.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

CAREFUL: The oil pressure gauge SHOULD be mechanical. Disconnect the line at the block and cap the block or you will have a puddle of oil in your car.
:)
Old 11-14-2001, 10:47 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Other then pluging the oil line for the oil gauge you should be okay. The 70 had next to nothing in the way of electronics so as long as you have a steering wheel you should be okay.

tom...
Old 11-14-2001, 11:16 AM
British Mark
Instructor

Default Re: How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car. (Tom73)

Thanks for the advice guys !
still not 100% on colour UK Paul but it will be a darkish blue proberbly the Audi colour Azure Blue I have an A4 Avant in this colour and it looks great in all conditions, rain, sun, even when dirty, it looks great with chrome. I hope I can remember how to put it all back together, taking it apart is the easy bit.

Mark...
Old 11-14-2001, 01:12 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mark,
Good choice - chrome looks excellent with blue. Check out the new MG blue. I think it's called Rover Candy Blue, or something close.
If you do drive to the painters with no clocks fitted, watch out for the "boys in Blue". A mate once got a very heavy fine for having an inoperative speedo (broken cable :rolleyes: )
Hope the paintwork comes out good. You could set up some sort of poll on the amount of washers left over when you've got it all back together ;)
:cheers:
Old 11-14-2001, 08:42 PM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

I was told absolutely none. You would never want to jeapordize safety with the dash exposed and without the guages properly together you could risk shorting the car and blowing your wire harness, just my .02$
Good LUck,Livin :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car.

Quick Reply: How much of the interior dash/gauges can you remove and still drive the car.