C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction - or the lack of it thereof....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 02:53 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traction - or the lack of it thereof....

I think I just got a vision into Merlin's future. I realize this isn't really C-3 related, but it gave me a pretty good idea of what driving my car will be like. I was coming home from work tonight & it was raining pretty hard (big surprise -raining in Seattle, huh?) Anyway, I was in the 850 in heavy traffic & some dummy in a 740 kept getting on my butt & being a general nuisance. I guess he didn't realize that 740 = 8 cylinder & 850 = scary 12 cylinder. Anyway, I used to jockey in traffic trying to stay in first place (like we're really in a race, right?) With this car I just let them pass & then when traffic clears I drop a gear & blaze by them at hyper speed. Up near my house in the Highlands, there is a really big hill going up to the plateau. It's a real great test of torque because it's about a half mile long & about an 8% grade. Pretty severe. The Eclipse used to hack & wheeze getting up there. I had to rev the stupid 4 cylinder up to 8 zillion rpm's just getting up the hill. The 850 is so sweet. I don't even need to drop a gear. Just hit the gas & it effortlessly climbs the hill. Anyway, I let speed racer go by me & as I approached the hill I noticed he was going the same way! Sweet - I'm gonna teach this guy a lesson in REAL power. Anyway, we both turned the corner & I saw him floor it. He started pulling away so I stomped on it in second gear. All of the sudden I'm sitting there going nowhere. What the???? I shift into 3rd & stomp - nothing just sitting there playing "let's see how fast we can hit the rev limiter". Basically there was nothing I could do to get traction. This is a 5,000 pound car with Dinan chips turning out roughly 420 pounds of torque. It's great in the dry, but in the wet - espeically going up hills it's a frigging nightmare. I may have well been on ice. Finally after creeping the rpm's up I was able to get traction & then passed him doing about 130 on a pretty small road. It's a really scary ride - takes lots of concentration - especially with all the power & the 6 speed. Once you get going you have no idea how fast you really are moving. I blew by him like a hurricane, but for all intents & purposes he beat me with less power. Lesson learned? Having the most power is not always a great thing. One day I will get Merlin on the road & I have a feeling that my experience in the 850 on a wet road will be similar to the experience in Merlin on a dry road. I don't think I dare take this beast out in the rain. That could have tragic consequences. Any experiences driving in the rain from those of you with mondo power?
Old 11-14-2001, 03:17 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (Merlin522)

Didn't realize those 12 cylinder cars were so torquey. That's a lot of car, especially with a 6 speed! Glad to have you back on the Forum!

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 11-14-2001, 03:29 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (marky mark)

I hope those HRE's are wide enough. :) I'm sure you can fit in some BMW Traction control onto your engine somehow... well actually. i dunno about the way your S/C's are set up but can't you control boost w/ a "BOV" and manifold pressures?
Old 11-14-2001, 03:36 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (Jenny)

Unfortunately the SC's are way too efficient. They have a blow-by valve for idle, but since they are twin screws they are super efficient - especially down low in the rpm's. If I had it to do over again, I would have used a 700CI block & turbos with the boost set to come on really high in the rpm range. Live & learn. That's a beautiful ride you have Jenny!!
Old 11-14-2001, 03:52 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Steve, check this out... i posted a discussion on a "import" forum, about using a BOV to regulate boost on a Centrifugal S/C...
http://ferrari.colowatch.com/php/sho...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

(hope that works) It's very interesting... :)
Old 11-14-2001, 04:12 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

HAHA, well my response is slightly off topic too, as it involves a 462 ci Pontiac Lemans GTO covertible with direct port computer injection I put on it some time ago.....the thing would pull houses....I used to race up an approx 10% grade from Fredrick to Hagerstown Maryland on I 70, going up hill, while pulling my boat....and full of passengers, just to hear the moan, blew off many a *** turbo whatsit's.....total rolling package without passengers and junk was over 7000 lbs.....550 some odd ft lbs of engine torque...snicker....307 rear...

GENE
Old 11-14-2001, 05:09 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (mrvette)

Gene - that's awesome! I used to have a Judge way back when, so I can relate. I can just see you bombing up the hill in that monster big block Goat. It's a beautiful thing!

Jenny - What can I say? Talking to you tonight was like a breath of fresh air. You are one of the coolest gals I have met in quite some time....
Old 11-14-2001, 11:34 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I know it sounds whoosy... but I seldom screw around on wet roads. You may be able to go fast, but you sure can't stop very well. Was that road wet? I think you said it was. Anyhow, having learned how to drive in the snow belt (Syracuse NY) I can handle a car going sideways pretty well... but there are times when things happen that you cannot predict on wet surfaces. It doesn't matter how good a driver you are, or how well you have been trained, or how much experience you have. It's pretty scary when your vehicle does not respond to your input, no matter what you try. They even have autocrosses on the ice in some places.... lots of fun. But on a road where a deer can pop up at any time, I like to have dry pavement under me when I'm screwing around. Bottom line- I don't care (to a point) what the car will do in the rain, because I keep the rpms down then. I focus on dry pavement traction which is inherently different than all-weather consideration. I know you're a good driver, but jeez, watch those wet roads. I've lost a couple of friends that way. One was on a motorcyle- he slid into a traffic sign and was beheaded. Ruined his whole weekend.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:42 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (Tom454)

Is that one of those slant nose coupes.??...I love that model BMW
Old 11-14-2001, 12:04 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Steve, I'm sorry about your shop problems. Over the years I got so fed up with shop delays and screw ups that I do all the work I can at home. I was able to log nearly 9000 miles of fun this season. If I they ever settle this bankruptcy thing I’m invested in at Federal Court. I’ll be back in the bucks. I’m thinking about how to build a carbed Dart block to compete with Monty with a 420 ish ci small block. I’m still not convinced that I need a blower yet LOL. My 383, although fun needs a shot of steroids or something because I’ve gotten used to it. People often ask me what I have in it and it would be nice to point to 427 emblems on the hood. :chevy
Old 11-14-2001, 12:27 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (Tom454)

Unlike Tom454, I still live in Syracuse and get to practice my driving skills for about 5 months each year on wet/ icy roads :cry . Steve I've never been in a 850 beamer, but they sure look coooooool !

I don't have a fraction of your future hp, but I bought my 17" Bridgestone Potentza RE730's because of their wet traction rating. I found that on an on-ramp in the rain, the rear tires will indeed break traction effortlessly :eek: .

I'm sure you'll have your hands full, but isn't that why you've built such a monster :D !
Old 11-14-2001, 12:34 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Traction - or the lack of it thereof.... (mikeo)

I once did a 180 on wet roads in my Z28 that I had a few years back ('86 model). Masterful driving to prevent hitting anything and keeping it from going to a 360. However, pretty lousy driving to get into the 180 in the first place. Little too much speed for road conditions, should have known better! Live and learn...
Old 11-14-2001, 12:52 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I used to have one of those 750is with auto. And even with that car weighting more than moby dick and automatic tranny it was pretty hard to drive really fast on wet surface the torque is just soooooooooo nice on that V12. I've driven my Vette on rainy days too and that is just one big night mare to be honest. Stiff suspensions and poor wide tires aren't just aren't what makes a good driver when it rains. :cry Hopefully those issues with engine shop will soon be over and the project continues. :U

Get notified of new replies

To Traction - or the lack of it thereof....

Quick Reply: Traction - or the lack of it thereof....