C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 12:01 AM
xrated
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Removal?

I would like to get my dist checked and re-graphed. How do i remove it and how should i get them to re-graph it.

Thanks
John
Old 11-14-2001, 12:23 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: Distributor Removal? (xrated)

Here's how to remove it. I'm e-mailing you installation instructions with photos:

Distributor Removal:

1. Remove the air cleaner assembly to gain access to the distributor.
2. Disconnect the distributor-to-coil wire (“primary wire”) at the coil (coil “-“ side).
3. “Bump” the engine over with the starter until the harmonic balancer timing mark is lined up with the 8-degree BTDC mark on the timing chain cover timing plate (the mark may actually be lined up within a range of 6 to 12 degrees BTDC).
4. Remove the distributor cap (by using a screwdriver, pressing down on the two cap screws and rotating 90 degrees) and observe the orientation of the rotor. If the rotor is pointing to the #6 plug wire, you are on the exhaust stroke, and you must “bump” the engine over one full turn and re-align the timing marks as noted above. If the rotor is pointing to plug wire #1, you are on the compression stroke, and may proceed to the next step.
5. Lift the distributor cap up and away from the distributor and set it as far off to the side as permitted by your wire harness. It should not be necessary to remove your plug wires to do this, but removing the center coil wire and freeing the wires from any plug wire brackets may better facilitate this.
6. If your distributor is correctly installed, it will be in position as shown in the installation instructions I'm e-mailing to you. If it is correctly installed, mark and record the position of the rotor relative to the Distributor Housing, (this should be the location of the #1 plug wire as shown in Figure 2) and mark the position of the Distributor Housing relative to the engine block. (Using a felt marker, place a mark on the distributor outer body where the rotor is pointing. Using the same felt marker, place a mark on your intake manifold directly underneath the “nipple” on the Vacuum Advance Control Unit.)
7. If my installation instructions indicate that your distributor is not correctly installed, the installation procedures in the instruction sheet will guide you through a correct installation. There is no need to mark the position of your rotor and distributor if it is incorrectly installed, but do place a mark on your distributor outer body at the location of the correct #1 spark plug location: Slip the Distributor Cap onto the distributor to determine the exact location of the #1 plug wire tower, place a mark on the distributor outer body with the felt marker, then remove the cap.
8. Remove the vacuum hose from the vacuum control unit.
9. Remove the distributor hold-down bolt and clamp from the base of the distributor. This can be accomplished with a 9/16” combination wrench, but is much easier to do using an offset “distributor wrench.”
10. Lift the distributor straight up out of the engine block by lifting up on the distributor body (not the rotor). Note that the rotor moves slightly counter-clockwise when the distributor is pulled up. If the engine is a high-mileage engine, carbon deposits on the distributor body shaft may make it difficult to pull the distributor out of the block. If this is the case, pull up on the distributor body while rotating the body back and forth. Push it back down into the block, pull back up and rotate. You can also spray some “WD-40” down the distributor hole to assist in loosening up the shaft deposits. Repeat this until the distributor pulls clear of the block. NOTE: There will be oil dripping off the bottom of the distributor: Keep the distributor upright and place a rag under the distributor gear to keep from dripping oil all over!

Old 11-14-2001, 12:27 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Distributor Removal? (xrated)

I'm not familiar with the term "re-graphed." Are you referring perhaps to getting the timing advance recurved? If so, you can do that without removing the dist. Call Lars; he is absolutely the expert in this area. What I can tell you is child's play compared to what Lars can do.

OTOH, if you need to remove the dist for whatever reason, it's easy. Remove the cap and unscrew the tach feed, and undo any other electric connections. There's a single bolt to the hold-down next to the dist shaft. Loosen that bolt, move the hold-down out of the way, and pull the dist. But BEFORE you pull it, make a reference mark on the dist, the rotor, and the manifold so you can put it back the same way when you're done.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:29 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Distributor Removal? (lyonsh)

Oops. I see Lars hopped in with his usual complete answer while I was typing. Please change my previous post to read: "What he said." :yesnod:
Old 11-14-2001, 12:43 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: Distributor Removal? (lyonsh)

lyonsh -
Didn't mean to cut in front of your post there.... sorry! I had the removal instructions all typed up already, so all I had to do was a cut and paste. I sent him out a copy of the install instructions with the photos, but I think it would be a lot better if I just made a trip out to Australia and did an on-site demo.... :yesnod:
Old 11-14-2001, 01:13 AM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Distributor Removal? (lars)

Thanks guys!

Whats that about installing a timing kit while the dist is still in the engine?

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor Removal?

Quick Reply: Distributor Removal?