C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why would gas shoot out of carb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 11:50 PM
kennycarpenter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why would gas shoot out of carb?

It seems odd to me, do I have a major internal problem? I knew my timing was off so I replaced the timing gears/chain to replace the badly worn nylon gears. The car turns over and never fires, just cranks and shoots the gas out of the front of the carb. I have ignition to the plugs and evidently the fuel pump is working fantastic. Help me guys, I love to work on my car but have very little mechanical experience....thanx :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 11-13-2001, 11:53 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: why would gas shoot out of carb? (kennycarpenter)

What kind of carb?
Old 11-14-2001, 12:00 AM
noxqsz
Instructor

Kenny;

Hate to say it but from what you describe, it sounds like the cam timing may be off, which would would probably be caused by an incorrectly installed timing chain. There is a mark on the sprocket that bolts to the cam and a mark on the crankshaft sprocket that must be lined up when you install the chain. If that's the only thing you've changed, and if the car ran OK before you changed it, I'd suggest you make certain the timing marks line up correctly. Sometimes there are marks on the crank sprocket that can be confusing. If there are other variables, i.e. other things that were changed when you installed the new timing set, there are other possibilities that might cause the problem you describe.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:45 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Most likely, the distributor is incorrectly installed. I'm sending you out an e-mail with a copy of my installation instructions - check it out and see if that might be the problem.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:03 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Kenny -
I sent you out an e-mail with a procedure, but noticed that you have a hotmail account - it may or may not be big enough to receive the photo file - let me know if you get it. If you don't, send me a non-hotmail account, and I'll send you a copy of the installation procedure.

Basically, when you install new timing gears, you can install the gears either with both dots pointing straight up, or with the dots pointing towards each other (since the gears rotate at a 2:1 relationship). Depending on how the gears were installed before, and how you installed your new ones, your distributor may now be 180 degrees out of whack even if you never removed the distributor.

So bring the engine up on TDC of the compression stroke for #1 cylinder (pull the #1 plug, stick your finger in the hole, and have a friend "bump" the starter until you feel compression trying to blow your finger out of the hole. Then line up you timing marks on the harmonic balancer with about the 12-degree mark on the timing tab). Then, pop your distributor cap off and see if the rotor is pointing exactly to the #1 spark plug wire location. I'll bet it's pointing to #6....

[Modified by lars, 11:04 PM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-14-2001, 07:31 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: why would gas shoot out of carb? (lars)

probably 180 off on the timing,pushing the fuel back thru intake,carb.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:31 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Why? Timing off, distributor installed incorrectly, wires installed in an improper sequence.

Gary
Old 11-14-2001, 10:12 AM
kennycarpenter
Advanced

Thank you for the recommendations guys, I believe you are correct with the timing. I did take care to line up the dots on the gears facing each other when installing the new edlebrock double row chain, i'm sure I did the procedure correctly. My concern is that it did this the last time I tried to start the car with the old chain still in......I'm going to double check the TDC position and distributor (has HEI kit) and see where I'm at from there.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:25 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

if our only one person and you want to get the timing good enough to start the car, then obviously you cant do the spark plug finger method..

an alternative to that is to remove the drivers side valve cover and watch for the compression stroke then align dist accordingly...

the mark i made when i yanked my dist somehow rubbbed off :confused: and i had to use the valve method cuase nobody was 'round hehehehehe
:lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To why would gas shoot out of carb?

Quick Reply: why would gas shoot out of carb?