C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 11:42 PM
Engage
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Best Tires?

What is the best tire 255/60/15 to use on a c3?
I have an 81 with Eagle Gt's still on it.
Looking for a tire that has good handling and rides well and is quiet!
Any suggestions?

Barry
Old 11-14-2001, 12:59 AM
lou
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Tires? (Barry)

I really like BF Goodrich. unfortunately :mad everyone out of 255s so I got 245's. Not a reall big differance in width and I got them for 68 bucks a tire at Sams. They were the lowest price I found locally. I like the looks, performance, and the sound they make when I break em loose. :chevy lou
Old 11-14-2001, 02:12 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a lot of technical differences from one tire to the next but there is just as much if not MORE OPINION based on personal preference. I don't know what your price or performance criteria is but I recently purchased a set of 255-60 R15 Firestone Firehawk SS20s. They are mounted on my factory original aluminum rims. I gave $330 mounted and balanced at a local tire store. At tirerack.com they sell for ~$64 each. Here is a link to these tires at the tirerack.com Web site. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/firestone/fs_ss20.jsp
Their treadwear rating is 500, traction A, temperature B.

I was satisfied with the price and I really like the way the lettering on the sidewalls look. I had always ran 255-60 R15 Goodyear Eagle GTs (treadwear rating 300). I liked the way they looked best but they were expensive and they didn't ever last very long due to the soft compound. I did a side by side comparison at the tire store of one mounted Firestone and one mounted Goodyear (used). I found that the Goodyear was wider than the Firestone by ~1/2" to 3/4" at the tread. So, the Firestones are not excessively narrow or anything but I do like the "fuller" look of the Goodyear. For the price difference I can be very forgiving though!

Ultimately, I want to upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels and tires, mainly for the improved handling characteristics.
Good luck with your choice. The difference in the right or wrong tire selection in my opinion can have a large effect on the appearance of your car.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:20 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what the largest tire is that will fit in the spare tire carrier?

As for the question you askerd, I would say it's pretty much personal preference as they are all pretty much rated the same. As for older tires, there used to be the Comp T/A R1's...but they're discontinued. :mad
Old 11-14-2001, 02:42 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best Tires? (MIKER)

I went with the Firehawk's too. It is true that they are narrower than other brands in the same size, but they still look good. The main selling point that hooked me was the tire pressure. All of the other brands in that size are rated to 35 psi max. These are good for 42psi. It gives you the option to pump them up a bit more for less sidewall deflection. I had the dunlop GT qualifiers berfore that and those things squealed a lot when cornering. I am running mine at 38 psi and they corner well with no deflection or squealing. Like Miker said, the big letters look good too. I have pics of these on my car. If you want to see them, let me know and I'll post them.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:05 PM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I also bought a set of Firestone Firehawk SS20s, although I didn't like the lettering and have them mounted blackwall out. Very please.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Tires?

Quick Reply: Best Tires?