C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had a terrible day with the vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 10:15 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just had a terrible day with the vette

Normally me and the 73 get along pretty well, but not today. I started off the day by running the vette up to work to put the lighter oil in that I run during the winter, everything goes fine till I get home and go to check the tranny fluid level and see oil dripping from the drain plug, DOH!. The gasket must have fell off the plug at work, so I run up tot he parts store and spend my 50 cents, lose about a 1/4 quart of oil putting that on, but problem solved. My next project was to check the accelerator pump travel on the old quad, well after moving the pump a few times to check the travel I didn't want to flood the engine so I got in and started the engine, now normally I leave the trans in neutral with the parking brake on if it's in the garage, for some reason I left it in first this time. The engine was cold so it started on high idle and when I let off the clutch, CRASH!! :eek:. I about :U I surveyed the damage, amazingly enough I didn't completely trash the nose but I did take a few nicks out of it, bad enough for the body shop but not a complete loss. Unfortunately for my mother her bicycle was right in front of the vette and it experienced a bent wheel and rear fork. I figured I did about 400 bucks in damage to the front of my 5 month old bumper, the only good part is that paint didn't quite match anyway so at least it would be a small step forward even though it was about 3 back. Then to top it all off, now when I occasionally push in the clutch I get a nice grinding noise through the clutch pedal when it's depressed, so it looks like the throw out bearing has had it :rolleyes: , so I might as well change the clutch now, so does anyone know of a good performance clutch to put behind a big block? All this wouldn't be so bad if I didn't just blow all that money on wheels and tires. Thanks for any advice or sympathy.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 11-13-2001, 10:35 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Default Re: Just had a terrible day with the vette (73 LS-4)

That sucks i did the same thing about a month ago but into a concrete wall fortunatly my paint was not that good anyway and i was able to fix it myself.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:56 PM
2nspire
Racer

Default Re: Just had a terrible day with the vette (Jester69Stingray)

Sorry to hear about yourvette. I use the Centerforce dual friction clutch and I really like it so far. Only 96 miles so it's not broke in yet, according to CF. Not to bad on the foot pressure and it sure grabs. My .02
Old 11-14-2001, 09:17 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Man that sux.....How much damage did it do to the front end/////Do you have any pics....I am really sorry to hear about that.........Do you have to buy your Mom a new Bike?????? :cheers: :eek:
Old 11-14-2001, 10:23 PM
72LT1Steve
Instructor

Pat; Sorry to hear about the accident. :smash: :smash: Of course it could have been worse I'm sure.
I have not done something like this. However my ex-girlfriends son (then 16) brought a similar event to my attention, when he mistakenly thought the car (pontiac) was in reverse when it was actually drive, and proceeded to punch the front nose into the center pillar support between my garage doors :cry :cry :cry Luckily no one was hurt, except the $500.00 out of my pocketbook to cover the homeowners insurance deductible. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Of course Ex said that she would repay but didn't :mad :mad Guess that's another reason why she's an Ex. :D :flag
Old 11-14-2001, 10:23 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Just had a terrible day with the vette (Alwyn678)

Not a terribly lot of damage but enough to where it's going to have to be stripped down and some cracks and chips will have to be filled in, but amazingly enough nothing real serious like a major crack or anything just little stuff. I'm pretty impressed with the flexiglass nose, it took a pretty good lick and stayed together very well. Looks like I'll be buying mon a new wheel for her bike, I pretty much fixed the rest, still have to fix the drywall :rolleyes:

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 11-14-2001, 11:22 PM
FERL 73
Pro

Sorry to here that. When I bought mine, I drove home, pulled in the garage and realized how long and pointy the nose is. I wasn't home 5 seconds and had allready hosed up the front bumper
Live and Learn
Old 11-15-2001, 12:06 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Yup...that qualifies as a terrible day.

congrats :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Just had a terrible day with the vette

Quick Reply: Just had a terrible day with the vette