C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help need belt info quick

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 06:31 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help need belt info quick

i threw a belt, the only belt on my car today. this one belt controlled both the ps, and alternator. ( it was this way when i bouhgt it i didn't bubba-fy it). it has no numbers on it and i can only find parts of it. i have a crate 454 with casting numbers 14015445. i am in the process of installing ac so i am soon to have a ac compressor. do you guys have any ideas on what belts to use? and how they should be run? i'm basicly stranded till i figure it out. i called scogin-dickeys and the dont even know what belts i should use. when this belt broke it caused a nasty mark on the inside of the hhod and caused the paint to crack on the outside. talk about a bad day :mad :mad :mad
Old 11-13-2001, 06:41 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: help need belt info quick (ykp53)

You can measure the length belt you need by taking a string or cord and routing it around the pulleys in question. Where the ends meet is your length. Lay the string/cord out straight and measure. Take the measurement to the auto parts and they'll be able to provide you with a belt. The belt doesn't have to be the "perfect" length just within an inch or so.

You can do the same thing when you get your A/C compressor installed.

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 5:43 PM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 06:42 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

I'm :confused: Did someone retrofit a serpentine system to this car or just stick a huge standard belt around the PS and Alt?
Old 11-13-2001, 06:50 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: help need belt info quick (FeedVaal)

someone just jerry-rigged this one really long belt around the water pump, alternator, power-steering pump and pully on the bottem. basicly a serpentine system. i figured i should put the belts back on right. i can measure them, but im not for sure where they should be run. they pulley on the water pump has two grooves. i think the one on the bottem also has two. does alt, come off of one and the ps off the other, should i have a belt connecting the two :confused: :confused:
Old 11-13-2001, 06:59 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You probably should go 1) crank-water pump-alternator and 2) crank-water pump-power steering pump but....it all depends if the pulleys line up vertically. They may not if all the components were running off one belt before.

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 6:00 PM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 07:03 PM
KrAzYSnIpEr
Racer

Default Re: help need belt info quick (mdsmith)

on my car it goes crank-ps, a short one, and crank, water pump, alt.

the water pump has 2 grooves, im assuming the other groove goes to the a/c when its installed.

hope this helps
Old 11-13-2001, 07:38 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: help need belt info quick (KrAzYSnIpEr)

hey guys thanks for the help, i will probaly measure it both ways and get both so that at least one set will work. any tips on getting these things on? do i have to pull the fan shroud?
Old 11-13-2001, 10:20 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

The belts on mine can be worked "around" the fan (hard to explain, work it past a blade, spin the fan, work it past the blade, etc.). Just be careful not to nick or cut the belt on the blades.

At least that's how it works with my 350. If you have any pics you could post, I'd sure like to see the engine compartment of a '77 stuffed with a 454.

Jerry
Old 11-13-2001, 11:35 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: help need belt info quick (jerryp58)

The original big block A/C belt setup used a 2-groove crank pulley, and 3-groove water pump pulley and a 2-groove power steering pump pulley. In track 1 (closest to the engine), a short belt ran from only the water pump to the crank pulley with an idler pulley mounted next to the water pump maintaining tension on the back side of the belt. In track 2, the belt ran around the crank pulley, water pump pulley and power steering pulley. In track 3 on the water pump pulley, the belt ran from the water pump pulley to the A/C pulley only. Another short belt ran straight from the power steering pulley to the alternator. Can't help with the belt sizes, but this is how the routing should be assuming you have power steering.

Get notified of new replies

To help need belt info quick

Quick Reply: help need belt info quick