C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much paint to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 04:44 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much paint to buy?

This is to all the Paint-it-yerselfers. I want to do the entire car, doorjambs,spare tire carrier, half shafts, differential cover,shocks and misc. items in the engine compartment with a minimum of two coats. Am I looking at two gallons?
Old 11-13-2001, 05:31 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How much paint to buy? (FeedVaal)

I used two gallons to paint my 66 convertible with a pint left over. My neighbor and I did his 73 coupe this past winter and used two gallons with a cup left over. That included a couple of major boo-boos/
Gary
Old 11-13-2001, 05:48 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much paint to buy? (GaryS)

Thanks for the reply. I was going to cheep out and buy one gallon. That doubles my cost but halves my worries.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:09 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If your going to color sand two gallons would be minimum imo. :cheers:
Old 11-13-2001, 06:43 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: How much paint to buy? (yellow 72)

FeedVaal; What kind of paint are you going to be using? BC/CC or SS enamel or lacquer? If you are using BC/CC you won't need 2 gallons of color but you will need 1 gal color and 1 gal of clear. If you are using acrylic enamel or urethane you will probably need more than a gallon so you might as well buy 2 so you have plenty for future touch up. Good Luck, Craig :chevy
Old 11-13-2001, 06:57 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much paint to buy? (CF6873)

I pretty much sold on BC/CC combo because I'm thinking it might be more forgiving to a relative novice. I've sprayed lots of paint in my life, even did it for a living for a brief while but have never used my new HVLP gun before.
I was thinking of practicing on the underbody parts to get my hand in.
One gallon basecoat but Two gallons single-stage? Does one cover better than the other?
Old 11-13-2001, 07:45 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you by chance buying your paint at Davis Auto Color? We bought the paint for my Blazer there a loooooonnnnnnnggggggg time ago.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:53 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

FeedVaal; Most Basecoat gets reduced at least 100% where SS gets reduced 30-50%. Also with BC you only need to apply enough to cover. You don't need millage(thickness) to achieve durability. That is done with the clear coat. With today's BC/CC they are very forgiving to apply,quick drying, and easy to buff. You can remove defects such as runs, debris, and dry spots with sandpaper and compound. But if you did this before you probably know all this. You didn't mention which HVLP gun you have but some of the early ones did not atomize very well,thus making a smooth job difficult to achieve. If that is the case you may want to over-reduce the clear slightly,say 5%. This will help with leveling,making it much easier to buff. Craig :cheers:
Old 11-14-2001, 12:51 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much paint to buy? (CF6873)

Earlier when I said one gallon, I meant total after reduction. I was only going to buy 1/2 gallon color. Now you know how truely cheap I am. :rolleyes:
I've got significant oxidation and chipping/stress marks on areas of the car
that I was hoping to fill with color coat,sand out,and apply final coat all out of that one gallon. Then I was going to brag how my $5000 paint job only cost $500.
Don't know where the paint is coming from yet but will go with the PPG stuff
I hear good things about.
None of this is going to happen till spring thaw as I will be constructing a paint booth on the driveway with vizqueen and positive air flow. No garage but a nice shop in the basement; useless for painting anything bigger than the hood.

Thanks again for the imput.
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How much paint to buy?

Quick Reply: How much paint to buy?