C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whileuratit-itis

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 12:30 PM
Ace77
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whileuratit-itis

So I took my headlight assemblies apart, and after blasting and painting most of the bits ad pieces, I discovered that one of the mounting brackets has a stress crack in it :mad, so I had to go out and buy some JB Weld (I've heard good things around here). Then I also realized that I have to get some sheet metal to cut and bend some new sections where the brackets mount to the body - seems the aluminum corroded away around the mounting holes (ie. there are NO holes anymore!) - an 1/8 inch of it :eek:! One thing leads to another and it leads to another. Seems like it will never run again. 2 years and counting...

What's your worst while-I'm-at-it delay?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:33 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (Ace77)

Full frame-off after finding that my heads were cracked. How did I get there?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:37 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to remove the right side exhaust manifold to check the heat riser flap. Ended up doing a top end rebuild and cam change. :rolleyes:
The reason, a stripped thread? Nope, I just decided that as long as I had a start on it I may as well keep going. :smash:
Old 11-13-2001, 12:56 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My transmission failed the other day. The first dollar spent was not on the transmission but on a set of 3.73 gears to replace the existing 3.08.
I just figured that while the exhaust system and drive shaft were removed . . . Also, the speedometer gear changeout will be easy to do with the transmission out of the car. I also plan on installing those new adjustable strut rods while I'm down there.
Who knows what all I will find that has to be replaced while I'm at it.
. . . I sure hope that I'm not posting one of those "The body is now off of the frame" threads in a couple of months!!! :lol:
Old 11-13-2001, 01:17 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Planned cam swap, but first must get tach working ( for the cam breakin ), oops - tach cable and housing busted, now pulling the dash ... don't know when I'll actually get back to the cam swap
Old 11-13-2001, 01:23 PM
The Dude
Race Director

An oil leak at the back of my intake manifold. Got that off and noticed a bunch of carbon fouling on the backs of my valves. Heads came off and were disassembled. Got them back and ported them. Re-assembled them. While it was apart I deciced to pull it out all together. Was going to build a 383. Built a 415 instead. Very impressive--12.31 @110-point-something. A year later the 415 blew up and I'm still waiting on a new 406.

I do have the record for the slowest machinist in the world, though. The 415 blew up on April 22. Let's be charitable and say it took me a month and a half to find a suitable 400 block and to score the proper forged parts. That means the car has been engine-less since oh, JUNE. Short block should be going together this week. That's 6 months in the shop.

Time to find another machinist.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:26 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

While replacing a leaking gas tank in my 66, I thought that this would be a good time to pull the extra set of tail lights that a PO installed. A LITTLE bit of fiberglass work, a little painting of the rear panel only - no problemo! Nine months later, after a complete strip, total body repaint, new windshield, new weather-stripping, new carpets, rebuild of the differential, it was back on the road.

How's that? Do I win the booby prize? ;)

Gary
Old 11-13-2001, 02:40 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (GaryS)

After I bought my 'vette and was changing the belts I found a broken alternator bracket bolt in the factory heads, they replaced with a flat ended bolt leaving the stub in the head..........had to remove to tap it out...then decided to replace heads instead with aftermarket ones....then decided to match the cam with heads...then the intake with the setup...then the carb... and new gear drive since cam install.........then new water pump....then decided to replace the timing cover with aluminum dress-up ..........then since its all off lets paint the engine block...now lets paint the firewall....now put together....then the dress up valve covers.....hey lets put on braided hoses...
............................pheeeew..... .........breathe.................

...I fear the day I redo the rear-end or the interior..... :rolleyes:

[edit] -oops...forgot some parts....replaced pulleys with billet March pulleys, replaced all alternator brackets with dress up and underside aluminum version II for that year, mine was cast iron.....deicided to replace the non-coated headers with dynomax headers....then since I was redoing part of the exhaust I replaced the mufflers and am awaiting final steps on engine so I can take to the shop and get mandrel bends for the dual exhaust.....

all this due to belts squeeling and wanted to change them out....

:rolleyes:

[Modified by ylose, 12:47 PM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 05:14 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (ylose)

Whileyouratit-itis has got to be my wife's worst nightmare :yesnod:

I wanted more low end torque and better mileage after buying the 1972. I bought a used Q-Jet and sent it to Lars. Changed to new manifold, then distributor rebuilt by Lars. Then brought my compression down by buying heads rebuilt by Lars, then replaced my heater core "while I was at it". I hope to drive this car again sometime in my life :cry
Old 11-13-2001, 05:30 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

I was going to wash my car today, but you guys scared me!! :D
Old 11-13-2001, 05:40 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (TFeld78)

My wallet controls my "Whileuratit-itis". My main problem is "WishIcould-itis" :rolleyes:
Old 11-13-2001, 06:43 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (79MakoL82)

I'll second 79MakoL82 WishIcouldaffordtobuildawholecarfromcata log-itis! :D
Old 11-13-2001, 06:49 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (micks69)

I'll second 79MakoL82 WishIcouldaffordtobuildawholecarfromcata log-itis! :D
That didn't stop me ;)
Old 11-13-2001, 06:59 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (Rhys)

I'll have to borrow your printing press. :smash:
Old 11-13-2001, 07:03 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (Rhys)

Full frame-off after finding that my heads were cracked. How did I get there?
Rhys, Ed T, Jack ...........I'll never complain about my mild case of Whileuratit-itis.

You guys are nuts. :D :D :crazy: :crazy:
Old 11-13-2001, 07:31 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Well let's see if I can remember. :crazy: It all started with a bad switch on my power windows. That led to the bubba wiring discovery that caused me to notice the seats had been painted. Ripped out the interior to go all new, and decided I may as well paint it while I'm at it. Got to looking closer at the paint and decided I'd really need to yank the engine and do the engine bay at the same time. Oh yeah, and replace that cracked windshield, while I'm at it. All the while I was reading Massvett's post on his ZZ502 and thought why not? Obviously, that led to a need for an L-88 hood, new headers and sidepipes, a better radiator and electric fans, not to mention a beefed up 700R4 transmission (did I mention the 220mph speedo?) and any fool knows I'd have to have bigger tires in order to use the engine, so next came the ZL-1 flares. Yep, put 'em on the front too (while I was at it), but they didn't look right so I figured while I was at it I'd build a fiberglass airdam (spoiler) to make them blend better. Stepped back to admire the new lines on the body and decided while I was at it, I ought to go with those SCCA style bubble covered fixed headlights and also fill in those exhaust ports on the rear valance. Oh yeah, and since the paint is stripped, I decided I could do one of those LeMans style flip-top gas caps, "while I'm at it". :lol: Now if I could just get all the parts used up I'd be in good shape! ;)

It never ends.
Dave
Old 11-13-2001, 08:23 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (Rolling Thunder)

mine started out as a rear gear change and went to new calipers rebuild trailing arms new lines made 2 1/2 exuast with flowmasters,sanded the entire car cut my hood and raised to 4 inch cowl induction,painted the car i made a roll bar for it put on my sportsman 2 heads,and installed a holley projection system on it............and still not done :(

Get notified of new replies

To Whileuratit-itis

Old 11-13-2001, 08:28 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

My worst whileuratit-itis is the current engine rebuild that I am enthralled in.:) What started as a basic stock rebuild of a 454 has turned into....well just take a look at my signature and you'll understand :crazy:
Old 11-14-2001, 09:58 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Tried to get the car to pass emmissions testing... exhaust came off, carb rebuilt. Twisted a bolt head on the exhaust manifold couldnt get any of the others to come out. Decided that i could pull the intake and the head to work on the exhaust manifold out of the car.... except for the 8 bolts down under it.

Half the car is stripped of paint, those dreaded bored with the project moments turn in to new projects... now i'm going to pull the engine and transmission and get it all back together so its drivable. Whew that just made me remember that the brakes dont like to work very well so i guess i'll go through those too.

I wana drive this car soon, but if i have gauged it right it'll be another 6 months to a year :cry

ZD
Old 11-14-2001, 10:21 AM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Whileuratit-itis (Rolling Thunder)

WINNER, WINNER!!! DING DING!!

Well let's see if I can remember. :crazy: It all started with a bad switch on my power windows. That led to the bubba wiring discovery that caused me to notice the seats had been painted. Ripped out the interior to go all new, and decided I may as well paint it while I'm at it. Got to looking closer at the paint and decided I'd really need to yank the engine and do the engine bay at the same time. Oh yeah, and replace that cracked windshield, while I'm at it. All the while I was reading Massvett's post on his ZZ502 and thought why not? Obviously, that led to a need for an L-88 hood, new headers and sidepipes, a better radiator and electric fans, not to mention a beefed up 700R4 transmission (did I mention the 220mph speedo?) and any fool knows I'd have to have bigger tires in order to use the engine, so next came the ZL-1 flares. Yep, put 'em on the front too (while I was at it), but they didn't look right so I figured while I was at it I'd build a fiberglass airdam (spoiler) to make them blend better. Stepped back to admire the new lines on the body and decided while I was at it, I ought to go with those SCCA style bubble covered fixed headlights and also fill in those exhaust ports on the rear valance. Oh yeah, and since the paint is stripped, I decided I could do one of those LeMans style flip-top gas caps, "while I'm at it". :lol: Now if I could just get all the parts used up I'd be in good shape! ;)

It never ends.
Dave

Quick Reply: Whileuratit-itis