C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 10:01 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them?

Just curious as I saw your post in the archives but haven't found anything that said what you decided or whether or not you like them. I'll be getting new mufflers this week and I'm trying to decide what to get.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:24 AM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them? (sharklover)

I installed the Dynomax super turbos on my 1980 , these mufflers where the closet to my originals, that I changed out this year. At the same time had had the CAT cut out of my car. The fit on the new mufflers is excellent and I would recommend them to anyone. The sound is pretty good, mind you cutting out the CAT did help. The sound is louder then my stock setup but is not overly loud at all compared to some other mufflers avalaible.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them? (RATT7)

If ya go wiuth The DEeltaforce-40 flowmasters u will not be sorry!!
Old 11-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them? (Alwyn678)

If ya go wiuth The DEeltaforce-40 flowmasters u will not be sorry!!
Actually from everything I've read, the DF 40's have some resonance at low RPM's that I would like to avoid. I've heard the DF 50's are better as far as resonance goes. I did see a clip from one guy that had DF 40's and they sounded sweet, just slightly louder than I want. I've heard Magnaflow's and Edelbrock 304's are great too, still doing research so I thought I'd check up on JR and see what he decided and if he was happy.

Eric 70,
If you're still around, do you have the Magnaflow SS or aluminized? I've seen both on their site and not sure what I want. If I go with SS, I have to get 2.5" in and out (due to muffler size and my configuration) but I saw the Magnaflow XP is an aluminized muffler that I can get with 3" in and out.

Ratt,
I considered the Dynomax Super Turbos for awhile but I think I'm now down to Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated, especially concerning resonance and loudness. Sound clips w/details (crossover or not, headers, cat, pipe size, etc.) are a definite plus.

[Modified by sharklover, 12:13 PM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 03:03 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them? (sharklover)

I have no resonance..at low rpm with my 40's just a low sounding growl and none of that tinny sound that some folks talk about..They are not even overwhelming at highway speed..you can carry on a conversation....I wish mine were even louder!!
Old 11-13-2001, 03:23 PM
RATT7
Pro

Sorry I dont have any sound clips for the Dynomax mufflers, but the intallation was straight forward, I used the existing pipes with the exception of the CAT. I am still using the original manifolds.
the sound is not overtly loud with little resonance in the car, If I crack the throttle it does sound nice but not loud as the flowmasters. I wanted a muffler that was louder then stock but not turning heads everytime I start the car up.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:08 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Default Re: JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them?

I have straight through glass-packs, installed by the previous owner. Nice rumble when I'm idling, good cruise (but not too loud), and hella loud when I romp on it... :reddevil
Old 11-13-2001, 10:53 PM
82 Super Vette
Racer

Flowmaster 40's are a very nice tone and I couldn't be happier with mine. If I were you I would get something with a little sound or you may be sorry in the future. How many posts have you read where the owner wishs he had went with the next size up cam?

Good Luck and may the sound be with you!!! :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them?

Quick Reply: JRChurch, what mufflers did you go with and how do you like them?