C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake booster removal?

Old 11-12-2001, 08:06 PM
carlmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake booster removal?

Has anyone out there removed the power brake booster? I assume I need to remove the 4 bolts I see in the passenger compartment behind the pedal assembly. What do I need to remove to access these bolts? Thanks in advance, Carl.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:47 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake booster removal? (carlmb)

I recently removed and replaced the booster on my '82 after asking and receiving help from forum members.I have no Idea what year car you have,but I removed the drivers seat.I then placed an old blanket on the seat rails since I'm a candy butt.The four bolts on my car were 9/16" standard.After days of cussing and moaning and groaning,I got an 18" long extension to my ratchet,and also a universal joint.I reached up in back of the column while lying on my back,placed the deep well socket on to the nut and then attached the ratchet.The bolts were easily removed.upon replacement I reached up and put the nuts on the bolt first and then again put the socket on.I couldn't believe how easy it was with the long extention instead of some type of wrench.I also have one of those little light thingys that you wear on your head thereby not having to worry about trying to hold a flashlight.My biggest problem was removing and replacing the clevis pin that connects the booster rod to the brake pedal,but believe it or not I did it.You may have to push some harnesses out of way to get to the nuts.
Are you replacing your master cylinder?If so don't forget the rubber o-ring or gasket.best of luck.
tankman :D
Old 11-12-2001, 09:31 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tankman is correct.
I did this job on my 68 coupe a few months back and it is MUCH easier with the seat out as you can lay on your back. I used extensions and universal joints and of the four nuts I believe the top right (when facing the nuts) was the hardest. Not one of the most pleasant jobs I have done but certainly is possbile with a little patience. Good luck,
Old 11-12-2001, 09:44 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What do I need to remove ... these bolts?
A contortionist!! The one on the upper left is a %$#&@* :D

Mark
Old 11-13-2001, 05:22 AM
lou
Racer

I used a 9/16 deep well socket and universal with a long extention also, not to bad, I also pulled the seat. lou
Old 11-13-2001, 08:52 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree it is the upper left that is the hardest. When I replaced by master cylinder I installed studs in the firewall just like wheel studs but ones made for the firewall. I got them from the wreckerss. They were on another system. I installed the studs then used nuts to pull them through the firewall. I now remove and replace my braking system from the engine compartment side. Makes it alot easier.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Carlmb -- Are you sure the booster is bad? They seldom fail. It's more common to have other brake problems and blame the booster by default.
:)
Old 11-13-2001, 09:09 PM
carlmb
Advanced

Thanks for all your replies. Brakes are fine, just want to remove it to clean it up and reshoot the engine bay. Engine is out for an overhaul and I figured I would do everything at once. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake booster removal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake booster removal?