C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proportion valves and highway robbery

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 07:03 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proportion valves and highway robbery

well the answer to my break problems is the proportion valve is stuck. i have no rear breaks at all. midas says they want 250-300 to replace it. the part is only 65 from zip. they are saying it will take 4 hours of labor. is this really that hard of a job. or is it a weekend job? i think they see a corvette and think i have deep pockets or they just dont want to do it so they are raising their price.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:08 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: proportion valves and highway robbery (ykp53)

the guys that did my breaks charged me $300 and all they did was replace 1 rubber hose, that they cut, and bled the breaks. I was po'ed, the only reason I didn't do the breaks myself was because I didn't know what I was doing. I have since learned to do what needs to be done, it won't go there again...I think you can do it alone, but i heard horror stories about it being difficult to get to with the engine in the car. :lol: I say go for it.

Daniel
Old 11-12-2001, 07:13 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

Dont ever go to MIdas for anything. You will get charged 2-3 times to much for anything there at least that has been my experience. I have found that there is not really anything i cant fix on my car with the proper tools and a manual.

Old 11-12-2001, 07:26 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

I got qouted at midas for an exhaust system for the '75 they wanted right over 1000 dollars, just for the pipe not the labor. I said no way, it would have been custom anyway... the fella said i would have to take it back for touch ups to make sure i paid them abunch uh to make sure that it fit perfectly :rolleyes:

ZD
Old 11-12-2001, 08:04 PM
SLVRCPE
Racer

Default Re: proportion valves and highway robbery (ZD75blue)

I just replaced the valve on my 74 , this is not a 300 dollar job thats for sure!
Just make sure you have the right tools ( Flare nut wrenches, and not a cheap set) and the job is not that hard.. took me roughly 3 hours and most of that time was looking for the right tools in a messy garage. :jester
Old 11-12-2001, 10:00 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: proportion valves and highway robbery (-HIC-)

3 hours is way too long hehehehheeh!!!

lets say 30 min......

and dont forget the flare wrenches....

Old 11-12-2001, 11:26 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: proportion valves and highway robbery (daily_driver)

shouldnt 4 hours at midas be $40? I had them bump out my 2.2" elbows to fit onto my 2.5" mufflers. They charged me $10 for 2. That's about all I would let them do. MJ
Old 11-12-2001, 11:32 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: proportion valves and highway robbery (MNJack)

his estimate has a $55/hr labor charge on it and that is also what the sign with the prices says. i think i will do it myself and spend the 200+ on other toys. :lol: :lol:
Old 11-13-2001, 11:05 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I went to a local Midas shop recently (Saturday) just to ask a simple question (was dual exhaust a factory option on any 1986 smallblock Silverado pickups). The DF (dumb f...) that answered my question had such a wise-butt, snotty, obnoxious, rude attitude that I will never go back there even to ask directions. I just smiled, said thank you, and walked away. I wonder if that Franchise owner knows how his help are treating customers?

Anyhow, the brake job can be a real PITA if you have rusty lines. If the lines are rusty, they will sometimes rust-weld to the flare nuts. Then, when you try to turn the nuts, the brake line twists and breaks off. If possible, I use heat (and penetrating oil) to free up the lines. Sometimes they are so rusty that even a torch will not save them. If that's the case, you will need an inverted flare tool to fix the lines, or new lines. This is very common if the car has been exposed to salt.

Mild climate cars do not typically have this problem... but it does happen.

Get notified of new replies

To proportion valves and highway robbery

Quick Reply: proportion valves and highway robbery