C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caster appears way off on rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 03:36 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster appears way off on rebuild

I'm doing a frame off resto of a '69. When I took it apart, I noticed an unusually high number of shims on the right, upper arm, rear mounting stud. The nut was barely on the stud there were so many shims.

During the rebuilding process, I replaced the upper and lower inner shafts on both sides. Upon reassembly, there is a significant positive (top forward is positive, correct?) caster on the right side with equal shims on both studs.

Neither arm appeared bent and the mount points also appear undisturbed.

Does anyone know how I can verify if an arm is bent or if the mount points are correct? I know from past experience that Corvettes can vary greatly in construction but this seems way out of line.

Are there any fixed registration points on the frame I can use for measurement?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2001, 04:22 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Caster appears way off on rebuild (JYD69_427)

I'm going to answer this based on the assumption that you are asking what you posted. :) When you have more shims on the back bolt it will give you more positive CASTER (as in the case before the rebuild) Positive Camber is when the top leans outward. I'm just clarify that when you say top forward you are talking caster. \ / is positive camber on the right side positive caster would look like this from the side /. sorry if I'm seeming to simplistic but I'm just making sure I understand what you are asking. In the AIM manual there is also measurements to confirm frame straigtness that is the four round holes in the frame that you stick rods in to determine your measuring points. (easy if you have body off) Hope this confirms what you are asking.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:54 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Caster appears way off on rebuild (paso)

Yes, I am referring to a CASTER issue. The upper arm ball joint stud is further forward than the lower arm's stud. This results in the steering knuckle looking like this / when viewed from the right (pass) side. The effect of the positive caster is reduced when adding shims to the rear stud.

Since it was goofy at the time of disassembly, I'm assuming I didn't make it any worse :blueangel: The fact new inner shafts didn't correct the problem means; one of the arms is bent or a mounting point is off.

Then again, I could be wrong... :conehead
Old 11-12-2001, 06:16 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Caster appears way off on rebuild (JYD69_427)

Acctually if you add shims to the back bolt you will increase positive caster. your description is correct so you must hve just made a typo :)

Get notified of new replies

To Caster appears way off on rebuild

Quick Reply: Caster appears way off on rebuild