C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 03:31 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal???

How hard/easy was it to remove the computer wiring harness from your 81 Corvette? I'd like to go with a non-computerized carb, etc, and want to clean-up the engine bay by removing the computer wiring and sensors.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:47 AM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal??? (81vette)

If at all possible I'd like to be able to seperate the computer harness from the rest of the wiring. Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2001, 10:01 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've recently just checked through all my ECU wiring & it looks to be a fairly easy job to pull it all out. Have you got decent wiring diagrams? Will you be keeping all of the smog equipment?
Paul
Old 11-13-2001, 11:46 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just removed the carb, distributer, and air pump from mine. As far as in the engine compartment the harness for these items just disconnects at the firewall. It really cleaned up the engine compartment :yesnod: The only real mess left in my compartment is the EFE stuff, and I think that is going to go too since I don't have the hookups on my new carb. Sorry I don't have any pics yet.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:39 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal??? (UKPaul)

I don't have the wiring diagrams. I'll probably go ahead and order them from zips to have handy. I'd like to remove the whole harness from the car including the computer. My plan is to remove the current emissions equipment, but to put the pre-81 AIR pump back on. It has a cleaner looking diverter valve than my 81. We have fairly tough emissions inspections around Houston, so I need to have one on the car but I'm betting that the inspector won't notice the difference. I'll also remove or change over any other parts that the computer hooks into.

Stickboy, thanks and please post some pics soon. Since I got you here can you confirm that you have a welded in cross member on your car with the 4spd? I have the 4spd also, but a bolted in cross member.

[Modified by 81vette, 12:41 PM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 03:22 PM
BlueShark29
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the ECU and all wiring on my '81 when I installed the 383 and 700R4 tranny. The removal was quite simple. Just remove the screws holding the carpeted panel on the tunnel and you can see and access all of the clips holding the harness and sensors located throughout the tunnel. Unplug the harness from the ECU first and start pulling that connector through the hole from behind the seat into the tunnel area compartment. remove the ashtray to access the screws that hold the diagnostic module to the tunnel. The harness has a rubber plug for the hole in the firewall bonded to it (ECU connector must pass thru). You will need to either make a plug for the 2" hole or seal it up some how (engine heat will enter through there). I used the plug that came with the Edelbrock fuel inj. sytem and put that computer in the place of the original. All of the sensors in the engine compartment will unbolt and can be removed without cutting any wires. Since the factory alarm system was controlled through the ECU, you will loose the use of the alarm system (if it was working), but can get an aftermarket system to work with all the sensors on the car.
I hope this is of some help.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:26 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Default Re: 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal??? (BlueShark29)

Here is a quick pic I took. I need to finish the vacuum line which you can see in the bottom corner, plus the old fuel line needs removed.

Also my trans crossmember is bolted on, I am sure my 4spd is from the factory
Old 11-13-2001, 09:45 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal??? (BlueShark29)

BlueShark, Thanks for the info....that will help a lot.

StickBoy, Thanks for the pics. That's funny on the bolted cross member, because everyone else says that 4spds came with welded cross members. Mine is bolted like yours, and I am fairly certain that it came from the factory that way too. I wonder if the 81's were different than previous models in this respect.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:10 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

I was a bit surprised when I crawled under and saw that mine was bolted on too. I thought that 4spd's had a welded on crossmember too.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal???

Quick Reply: 1981 Computer Wiring Harness Removal???