C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Advise Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 12:30 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Brake Advise Please

I am starting to squeak going down the road and need to put new brake pads on. While I am at it, I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a new stainless steel braking system. I have changed these before on other cars, but never on the Corvette. Is there anything that I need to be aware of before starting this job. Also, what brands carry these brake systems and which one is the best for street applications.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Brake Advise Please (Andrew)

I've got the Vette Brakes SS brakes with SS brake lines. They are excellent quality and were very easy to install. I hear SS Brakes also makes a very good product.

Good luck...
Old 11-12-2001, 02:14 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

There isn't anything special about doing a brake job for a Corvette. I've had good luck with Muskegon brake http://www.muskegonbrake.com but I think most of the well known names are good (like Vette brakes or Stainless Steel).
Old 11-12-2001, 02:56 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be stating something you already know, but, Corvettes use a fixed caliper design. This makes rotor run-out critical. If you remove the rotors to get them turned, some people suggest marking a lug stud and the rotor so that you put the rotor back on the hub the same way it came off (to reduce run-out). Technically, run-out should be measured (the tolerance is pretty low). Other than that, it's not a bad job. Oh, I bought mine from Zip and they wanted AC Delco cores for trade-in. There was an additional charge otherwise. If you don't want to face that problem in the future (and you're not concerned with a better "performance" rotor), you may want to make sure the company sends you ACs.

Good Luck.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Koz

I just purchased one from AutoZone. $56 with lifetime warrantee.. Works great.. no problems.. actually I haven't driven the car since I replace it..:lol: Taking the car to work tomorrow but everything went in fine so I'm not anticipating any problems. They wanted my old one or there was a core charge.. I was more than happy to give it.. :p:
Old 11-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the squeak is a brake problem. U-joints squeak when dry, and you vette has 6 of them. Typically if they squeak, there will be red rust around a u-joint cap, but not always.

good luck,

Phlash

72 BB roadster
Old 11-13-2001, 01:07 PM
majglc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the VB SS Oring calipers and am very happy with them.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Andrew -- Buy a good set of flare nut wrenches BEFORE beginning any type of Corvette brake work. The wrenches will help ensure you do not round off the shoulders on bolts and fittings. Been there, done that.
:)
Old 11-15-2001, 05:24 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Brake Advise Please (Easy Mike)

Thanks for the advise. I went ahead and got some SS calipers for now. I am going to wait on the disc replacements, due to the cost, wow they are proud of those$$$

Easy Mike, I'll be sure and get some flare nut wrenches.

Thanks again!

[Modified by Andrew, 3:43 PM 11/15/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Advise Please

Quick Reply: Brake Advise Please