Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Why does the center console get so hot ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM
AFR VETTE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does the center console get so hot ?

Is there a reason for this it seems very hot in the car all the time. Is there anything that could be done about this? If so what is it?
Thanks
Adam
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
captej
Drifting

Im trying several different things to try and handle some of the "console" heat in my 2007 Z, 1st i put in the whole pre-cut under carpet insulation kit from EXOTIC-VETTE,then ELITE ENGINEERING's 1/4" ceramic coated tunnel plate with THERMO-ABS,and then THERMO-TEC adhesive backed heat barrier on the sides of the tunnel and body near the cats.. even drilled the rivets out of the aluminum shields near cats and put the thermo-tec behind them then re-riveted... sick of melting my candy bars.. will post temps when i can drive a while.EJ

Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We have known for a while that the exhaust running down the center of the car causes extreme amounts of heat building up. In the race cars the tunnels can get well in excess of 140 degrees!

That is why we had a full tunnel shield built that bolts into the car, weighs almost nothing and can drop temperatures more than 20 degrees!

This not only protects the full tunnel but it also extends down to protect the side as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 714 Likes on 495 Posts

hot exhaust + aluminum frame= NO insulation

Get some adhesive insulation and line the UNDERSIDE of your tunnel to keep the heat out. LG's tunnel liner is great, but you need to do the sides as well. I like these type products.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Don't store candy bars in the drink holder!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
We have known for a while that the exhaust running down the center of the car causes extreme amounts of heat building up. In the race cars the tunnels can get well in excess of 140 degrees!

That is why we had a full tunnel shield built that bolts into the car, weighs almost nothing and can drop temperatures more than 20 degrees!

This not only protects the full tunnel but it also extends down to protect the side as well.

It works.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
ArrogantZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

captej some good ideas there. I thought maybe I could run some tubing and tap those into to the air vents. But looks like there is no room for anything like that.

Looks like I will have to go your route
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks Captej and Anthony for your suggestions. I even asked one of the Corvette Engineers about this at Corvette Carlisle and got really not much of a response other than, "it is very tight in there" or something close to that. Not taking anything away from your suggestions but I do believe some forum members have taken their cars back to the dealership for fixes (changes). That's what I was thinking of doing first. Does anyone know of any service bullentins concerning heat build up in console and along tunnel?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
captej
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArrogantZ
captej some good ideas there. I thought maybe I could run some tubing and tap those into to the air vents. But looks like there is no room for anything like that.

Looks like I will have to go your route
thought about that also...no room for a hose of any size...cnat flow enough air to make a difference..EJ
Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Thanks Captej and Anthony for your suggestions. I even asked one of the Corvette Engineers about this at Corvette Carlisle and got really not much of a response other than, "it is very tight in there" or something close to that. Not taking anything away from your suggestions but I do believe some forum members have taken their cars back to the dealership for fixes (changes). That's what I was thinking of doing first. Does anyone know of any service bullentins concerning heat build up in console and along tunnel?
Wrong! This is a design problem, simple as that. You may address it by adding additional insulation under the car or inside the car under the carpet. Under the car is probably the most complete solution.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
My dealer said "sorry, no TSB". GM customer service said "it's the original/factory design" and offered no help. I checked the parts dept and there is no part number for the factory installed insulation , so pretty much on your own to solve this problem
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM
ptoemmes
Advanced

Originally Posted by captej
Im trying several different things to try and handle some of the "console" heat in my 2007 Z, 1st i put in the whole pre-cut under carpet insulation kit from EXOTIC-VETTE,then ELITE ENGINEERING's 1/4" ceramic coated tunnel plate with THERMO-ABS,and then THERMO-TEC adhesive backed heat barrier on the sides of the tunnel and body near the cats.. even drilled the rivets out of the aluminum shields near cats and put the thermo-tec behind them then re-riveted... sick of melting my candy bars.. will post temps when i can drive a while.EJ
captej,

I will doing the same as you plus a couple layers of D-Amplifier Pro and the LG Heat Shield the second week of October. Doing the rear area too.

What, if any, "additional" 07 Z (sound) insulation did you run into?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 09-25-2007, 10:18 PM
captej
Drifting

Originally Posted by ptoemmes
captej,

I will doing the same as you plus a couple layers of D-Amplifier Pro and the LG Heat Shield the second week of October. Doing the rear area too.

What, if any, "additional" 07 Z (sound) insulation did you run into?

Thanks,

Pete
rear wheel well,tunnel and under and behind seats,just used the exotic vette stuff under it.. good luck,,EJ
Old 09-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Captej great job... very detailed and professional.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:55 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the tunnel plate...It did not help at all...My center console is like a heater, I could cook eggs in that center console
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 805Z06
I did the tunnel plate...It did not help at all...My center console is like a heater, I could cook eggs in that center console
Mine gets pretty hot too. My cell phone was in there and one time and it got so hot it quit working until I took it out of there and let it cool off.

that's not a bad idea with the eggs. I could save a lot of time by cooking on the way to wherever I'm going in the morning rather than having to cook before I leave. :lol"
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jorday
Mine gets pretty hot too. My cell phone was in there and one time and it got so hot it quit working until I took it out of there and let it cool off.

that's not a bad idea with the eggs. I could save a lot of time by cooking on the way to wherever I'm going in the morning rather than having to cook before I leave. :lol"

The most damage with me was having my credit cards melt (after a track event). The best part is, buying a bottle of water at the gas station, put it in the cup holder, an hour later of driving, the water is ready to make tea
Old 09-26-2007, 01:35 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
hot exhaust + aluminum frame= NO insulation

Get some adhesive insulation and line the UNDERSIDE of your tunnel to keep the heat out. LG's tunnel liner is great, but you need to do the sides as well. I like these type products.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Don't store candy bars in the drink holder!
Thanks for the link

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the center console get so hot ?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 805Z06

The most damage with me was having my credit cards melt (after a track event). The best part is, buying a bottle of water at the gas station, put it in the cup holder, an hour later of driving, the water is ready to make tea
That'll happen.

Oh yeah, and there's nothing more refreshing than a sip of burning hot diet coke.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Bill's ZO6
Racer

I had LG Motorsports install the Heatmaster heat shield about a year ago when they installed their headers. The heatshield made a world of difference in the Texas heat. I highly recommend it.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Heat, what heat? The instructions for the a/c are in the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why does the center console get so hot ?