C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Nos Off Road Exhaust On Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Nos Off Road Exhaust On Ebay

Set of NOS OFF ROAD mufflers and pipes bought at a Chevy dealer in the seventies on EBAY. Item #160161121420. Looks like the real deal......if interested, call your stock broker.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be interesting to see what these go for. I am sure the current bid of $510 is just the beginning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
philip964
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok for the dummies like me, what were these really for? Did people really go off roading in their Corvettes, or was this a GM way to get a loud muffler for the smart buyer. A Corvette muffler is so low anyway were they designed not to start grass fires?

I guess if you have a tank sticker and it says your car came with this - your going to have to bid. Does this add alot to the value of your car?

Equal to a big tank or a radio delete?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by philip964
Ok for the dummies like me, what were these really for? Did people really go off roading in their Corvettes, or was this a GM way to get a loud muffler for the smart buyer. A Corvette muffler is so low anyway were they designed not to start grass fires?

I guess if you have a tank sticker and it says your car came with this - your going to have to bid. Does this add alot to the value of your car?

The N-11 was a welded system at the back instead of the clamps and had three baffles in the muffler instead of the standard five. It was available on L-75,L-76 and L-84 cars in 64 and more in 65. I would love to have that system for my Fuelie but im sure it will go for more than i want to spend now that it's posted here. There were 1,953 cars equipped with this system in 64 so it's not that rare but exhaust don't last that long so all the GM stuff is gone. If i bought this it would only go on for shows because of the rust issues.

Last edited by Injected Stingray; 09-24-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Back in ancient times, I bought a set of these at a Chevy dealer parts counter. The pipes were double-wall; that is, a pipe within a pipe then mandrel bent, flattened bottoms, etc. Very likely that this construction contributed to the unique sound note & is perhaps why none of the aftermarket guys have been able to represent that sound with their 'repro' off-road systems. As I recall, the mufflers very quickly rusted from the inside in the vicinity of the low forward end.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:17 PM
mts7900
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philip964

I'm not an expert on SCCA rules, but I think that after 1964 some of the rules changed and included noise restrictions for some courses, requiring mufflers. Chevy came out with N11 in 1964.

I have an original set on my car, and they are super loud. They sound a bit different than the side exhaust.

The N11 system isn't for driving on grass
Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Injected Stingray
The N-11 was a welded system at the back instead of the clamps
All factory-installed Corvette under-car exhaust systems had the intermediate pipe (from the trans crossmember back) welded to the muffler inlet; that's how they were received at St. Louis. For Service, the standard system mufflers had the curved inlet pipe and used clamps at the connection to the (cut off) end of the intermediate pipe in front of the spare tire tub. The N-11 Service replacement was the exception - it was supplied in Service exactly as it was to St. Louis, with the long intermediate pipe welded to the muffler.

An NOS pair of N-11 muffler assemblies went last week on eBay for $5900.00.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hate to bring it up again, but a true reproduction of the N11 exhaust would be lucrative (most under car exhaust people would by them, wearable item so repeat customers, could be fitted to other vehicles,...).

If I was in the exhaust businees, or retired, or had more time I'd buy the set and reproduce it.

My friend has a set and nothing sounds better
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
All factory-installed Corvette under-car exhaust systems had the intermediate pipe (from the trans crossmember back) welded to the muffler inlet; that's how they were received at St. Louis. For Service, the standard system mufflers had the curved inlet pipe and used clamps at the connection to the (cut off) end of the intermediate pipe in front of the spare tire tub. The N-11 Service replacement was the exception - it was supplied in Service exactly as it was to St. Louis, with the long intermediate pipe welded to the muffler.

Thanks for the clarification on that John. Do you know of any way to identify a factory N-11 equipped car other than original docs.

$5900.00 for a exhaust that's going to rust out is not in my budget right now, that's almost what I payed for the car.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM
mts7900
Intermediate

According to the Nolan Adams Rest Guide you're not correct. What documented information do you have that states the intermediate pipes were welded to mufflers on all exhaust systems?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mts7900
According to the Nolan Adams Rest Guide you're not correct. What documented information do you have that states the intermediate pipes were welded to mufflers on all exhaust systems?
The information in the first paragraph of the N-11 section on page 238 in Noland's book is incorrect. If you'll check the "Exhaust" sections for each year in Noland's book, and in UPC 8 of all the midyear assembly manuals, you'll see that the intermediate pipe and muffler are an "assembly", with one part number, and there are no clamps. Clamps were only used in Service, when the mufflers were replaced; Service mufflers (except N-11) were supplied with the curved inlet pipe and a clamp where the inlet pipe fit over the the cut-off end of the intermediate pipe.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 PM
mts7900
Intermediate

The information in the first paragraph of the N-11 section on page 238 in Noland's book is incorrect. If you'll check the "Exhaust" sections for each year in Noland's book, and in UPC 8 of all the midyear assembly manuals, you'll see that the intermediate pipe and muffler are an "assembly", with one part number, and there are no clamps. Clamps were only used in Service, when the mufflers were replaced; Service mufflers (except N-11) were supplied with the curved inlet pipe and a clamp where the inlet pipe fit over the the cut-off end of the intermediate pipe.
Being at odds with Noland Adam's guide is one thing, but relying on the assembly manual to define this doesn't make Nolands book incorrect. The assembly manual identifies the left and the right mufflers and intermediate pipes as one COMPLETE assembly (for both sides as one assembly). It doesn't define how the mufflers and intermediate pipes are assembled. Even an assembly line photo, if one exists, won't clear this disagreement up, without knowing exactly which exhaust system would be shown.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mts7900
The assembly manual identifies the left and the right mufflers and intermediate pipes as one COMPLETE assembly (for both sides as one assembly).
No, it doesn't. In all cases, there is a right-hand assembly, and a left-hand assembly; the item number in the box is followed by TWO part numbers (like "3859561-2 Muffler & Rear Exhaust Pipe Asm, L & RH"). 3859561 is the left side assembly, and 3859562 is the right side assembly.

I worked at St. Louis in '67-'68; my Production Engineering group was responsible for developing the assembly processes and tooling, and I know just a little about it.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM
mts7900
Intermediate

No, it doesn't. In all cases, there is a right-hand assembly, and a left-hand assembly; the item number in the box is followed by TWO part numbers (like "3859561-2 Muffler & Rear Exhaust Pipe Asm, L & RH"). 3859561 is the left side assembly, and 3859562 is the right side assembly.

I worked at St. Louis in '67-'68; my Production Engineering group was responsible for developing the assembly processes and tooling, and I know just a little about it.
As an Engineer myself, I know you're correct in stating that when left and right hand assembly are created, they have seperate engineering part numbers assigned, but I'll say this again, the Assembly Manual only identifies ONE PART NUMBER for both sides, not 2 part numbers. You may know more about this than we do, but you haven't shown any documentation to contradict Noland Adam's book.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:10 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

and Noland will acknowledge the odd error in his "bibles as well.

i would take john's knowledge base and memory over both published sources
Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 PM
mts7900
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 66L72
and Noland will acknowledge the odd error in his "bibles as well.

i would take john's knowledge base and memory over both published sources
His knowledge is valuable, but nowhere in this conversation is it defined that standard mufflers and intermediate pipes are welded assemblies. We're taking JohnZ at his word vs Adam's written guide.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Well Corvette Central also agrees........

"Original factory exhaust systems came on the car with the secondary pipe welded to the muffler"

Bottom of this page ...

http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.com/c2stocksys.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Nos Off Road Exhaust On Ebay

Old 09-25-2007, 03:52 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the original stock mufflers (not N-11) on my 66 back in 1972 or 73. I had to saw off the old muffler, just as JohnZ describes. The intermediate pipe and muffler were a single welded assembly. I still have those pipes under the deck, compolete with hack saw cuts.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I had them on my '65 365. They were welded (I remember sawing them off when I went to side pipes) and they sounded BAD ***.....
But I just HAD to have those side pipes!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

John knows Corvettes . John knows how Corvettes were assembled.
John remembers more than most of us have forgotten. John has pictures of things and places most of us have never seen. John is respectful in all his posts , even when he's answering a question he's answered many times before.
No , I'm not on his payroll.
Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: Nos Off Road Exhaust On Ebay