C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H E L P !!! 68 Window

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 08:52 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default H E L P !!! 68 Window

Looking for the steel plate that attached 68 door window glass to the track which in turn is operated by the window regulator.
Thsi is a 68 part only.
None of the vendor catalogs have it.
If anyone has one they want to sell please e-mail me at ksbunting@msn.com
Thank you in advance,

[Modified by ksbunting, 6:53 PM 11/11/2001]
Old 11-12-2001, 09:10 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H E L P !!! 68 Window (ksbunting)

Let us know what you find. Wish I could help. My driver's window is really getting tough to wind up or down (non power) and I figure I'm going to be doing some "surgery" on it soon.....
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:45 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: H E L P !!! 68 Window (68shark)

Doug,
This is not a difficult job to do. My only problem was that the part that is rusted on my car is made for 68 and early 69 only, so it is an availability problem and the fact that I am so damn finicky that everything has to be perfect and like new. I have been rerstoring this car since 1995 (owned it since 1972) so I am doing everything to make it like new the day it was delivered from the factory, I already finished the passenger door and it was a difference of day and night. Windows work like new and all I did was disassemble everything, clean it thoroughly and completely, get all the old caked on grease out and lube everything well with new white lithium grease and reassemble. It's amazing how well the parts last. Nothing was worn enough to need replacement and believe me I checked very closely. It's just that on the driver door, the plate that holds the glass is rusted pretty bad and when I wire wheeled it , you could see where the rust had eaten into the metal. No one will ever see it and it works fine but I want it like new because I am **** about this car.
Do one door at a time and completely reassemble it because that way if you get stuck, you can use the other door as a reference guide. Carefully check the workings of your lock and make adjustments before you close the door. You can activate the latch with a screwdriver to see how smooth the mechanism works after each adjustment and that way you don't close the door on the car and have it jamn on you.
After I cleaned my latch mechanism, I submerged it in 10-30 motor oil for a day or two and then let it drip dry and then sprayed the hell out of it with White Lithium Grease that comes in a spray can. It sprays on as a liquid and then sets up into a paste so it doesn't run off but gets into all the nooks, corners, and tight spots.
Holler if you need help or have questions.
You can do this job, believe me. I never did this before and the passenger door locks and mechanism, along with the power window, came out perfect.
Good luck,

[Modified by ksbunting, 7:49 PM 11/12/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 09:46 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H E L P !!! 68 Window (ksbunting)

Thanks!! You've given me some encouragement! Didn't want to take the door all apart to find out I need parts that aren't available. I suspected that a good cleaning and lubricating was all that needed, but your post got me worried.

My door locks haven't worked in many years. The button works etc, just that the actual lock cylinder is frozen solid on both doors. Have you come across any sources for this unique part?

Get notified of new replies

To H E L P !!! 68 Window

Quick Reply: H E L P !!! 68 Window