C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need your opinion on c4 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 08:21 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need your opinion on c4 for sale

dads lookin for some new wheels...94 cav with almost 200k gettin kinda weak. Ad says... 84 vette with removable top, low miles, auto, a.c., power loaded $5977. Its at a dealer. If we look at it ill post some more details. Somethin around 6 would be nice. Thanks
Old 11-11-2001, 08:26 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: need your opinion on c4 for sale (Blues77)

removable top? it can't be a vert(its only 84)...must mean coupe...of course all coupes have "removable tops"...Thats like someone getting excited over a t-top on a c3 coupe...its a sells pitch...

The biggest problem with 84's, that i heard, is they are the first of the c4 generation, so you are looking at new technology that is basically in "feild test" version...I've also heard the fuel injection is a pain, and doesn't work well.

But in the end, its still a corvette, and its his money...if it makes him happy, tell him to go for it...anything can be fixed.

Daniel
Old 11-11-2001, 08:41 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Wow that seems kinda strange, it's hard to find a C-4 with low miles for just under 6 grand. I would look it out...something doesn't seem right to me.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:43 AM
shamby
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 84 with only 74,000 miles on it. THe car is a great weekend car, but it has had it's problems. Mainly electrical. 84 with cross fire, 85 was tuned port. I would suggest an 85 and up.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:10 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

have you tried looking in the C-4 cars for sale part of the forum?
Old 11-12-2001, 09:40 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I just took a look to see what was out there for comparison and here is what I found. . .

On www.autotrader.com I found 265 1984 Corvettes for sale using a search criteria of "any distance" and ">$10,000".

On http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ I found 175 1984 Corvettes for sale using a search criteria of "any distance" and "from $100 to $10000". (you have to put in the minimum $value on this site or it will give you all of those "no price, call for detail type of ads!")

Both of these Web sites are great to use for getting an idea of roughly what you should pay for a particular car.
I also hold the opinion that the 1984 Corvette should only be purchased if you can get a "STEAL". 1985 and up are better. Take a little time to learn about the yearly improvements made to the C4's.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:05 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: need your opinion on c4 for sale (MIKER)

I have a friend out here who's selling a 1985 (i think) and it's got 110,000 miles on it. He posted it in the C-4 forum and it's a good car. I think he's asking about 7 grand.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:13 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: need your opinion on c4 for sale (theanswriz42)

that sounds pretty averag.. a friend of mine bought a nice 87 convertible with a new top and about 110k for 7500 bucks in Atlanta GA
Old 11-12-2001, 05:32 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Have you posted this question in the C4 forum?

Less than $6k at a dealer doesn't sound too bad.

I guess a couple of big questions are: How reputable is the dealer and do they include any warranty? Having a company accountable & a warranty are the only reasons I can see buying from a dealer versus a citizen.

Some things I've heard about '84:
1. Harsh ride, but really sticks to the road.
2. Difficult exit/entry (but I guess that's all C4s).
3. Cross-Fire is reliable, but has poorly designed intake resulting in relatively low power limit. There's a lot of info out there how to correct the problem (Corvette Fever has had several recent articles on the subject and is working with a vendor for a solution). In the meantime, you'll be considered the weakling of the C4 bunch :bb
4. There was just a comment about the early C4 brakes (maybe a fade issue? can't remember for sure). Not really a problem, but one of the improvements for the later years.
5. Digital dashboard almost always requires a rebuild at some time in the car's life.

Personally, I'd try to take advantage of that silly "Rule of 4s" and see if I could talk the dealer down. I think an '84 would be a great car to have. I haven't checked, but I would imagine there are aftermarket fixes for all of those problems. It's just a matter of how much you dislike those problems and how much it would cost to fix them.

Hope some of this helps & Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2001, 06:09 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: need your opinion on c4 for sale (jerryp58)

I sold my '84 in fustration over electrical problems. Never knew if it would start or not. It has a rougher ride than my '71 but did get lots of compliments. I never had a problem with the cross fire and when it started it ran great.
If I was to buy one again it would have to be a real steal and I only paid $3700.00 US for it in Toronto (Gotta love that exchange rate). I guess it all depends on your skill level. You may be looking at alot of tinkering but if your good at it and the price is right, so what?

Larry http://www.larryscars.com/71vette.html
Old 11-12-2001, 08:46 PM
keytech
Racer

OK, your talking to a guy who had a 84 that he sold with 322K on it. Here's the lowdown: Don't do it. The good side? The crossfire isn't scary like people say, never had a problem with mine the whole 322k. First of the body style, MotorTrend Car of the Year. Down side? Well first of the new body style, they needed that year to get the bugs out. Incredibly noisy, I mean you can't hear yourself think. The absolute roughest riding car in America! You'll jar your teeth driving over shadows. Didn't get that suspension goody tweaked till later years. 200 horsepower - on a good day, although it did handle great. dash electronics are absolute garbage. If the dash is not shorted out now, it's just a question of when (not if) it is going to happen and it's 300 bucks to rebuild. Did I mention rough ride? Oh my aching back! Interiors not as nice aof quality as later years. performance no where near later years.

Another thing, they didn't have an 83 so they made a pile of these to catch up, 53 thousand plus, biggest run todate which makes resell about worthless probably forever. Did I mention rough ride?

Pass it up. get one a few years later, or even move into the 93 or 94's. You'll be much happier. By the way, it really rode hard.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:18 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: need your opinion on c4 for sale (keytech)

Keytechs reply should pretty much wrap this discussion thread up. How on earth could you argure with a guy who drove one for 322K miles??? WOW! :eek:

Can't exactly put my finger on it but something tells me that keytech wasn't too impressed with the ride quality!?! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To need your opinion on c4 for sale

Quick Reply: need your opinion on c4 for sale