C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:47 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default frame rust

I have a 72 coupe, and during the process of replacing the trailing arms, I discovered some rust on the frame rails (yikes). I have seen numerous posts on frame off work, but is there a method to repair this rust without removing the body? The rust is confined to the bottom of the frame rail, in the rear portion where it joins to the cross member. (the usual spot)

As a side note, the rust was camoflaged with Bondo and undercoating. Despite poking around prior to the purchase, I missed it! Let the buyer beware! A frame off may be in the future, but I have to get up my nerve (and schmooze the wife!)

Temvette72
Old 09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eastwood has products such as Rust Converter and Rust Encapsulator, have had good results with both.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Are there holes clear through the metal or just surface rust?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better to do it right from the first time on, but look further there could be more rust hidden

Good luck
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you start repairing the damage you want stop until your satisfied. I pulled my body and removed everything. LOL

Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you post some pics of the rust? Feel inside the holes in the frame rails to get an idea of how much rust is inside. If there are thick chunks of scale you have some fairly serious problems. Here is what my 72 frame looked like:

If you find pieces like the ones laying around in the pics you probably have a pretty weak frame.

Rick B.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 PM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
Once you start repairing the damage you want stop until your satisfied. I pulled my body and removed everything. LOL

Dirtbuster is right But don't get discouraged with a few holes. I live on an Island in the north atlantic, so a replacement frame wasn't an option. Just a couple of pics....

But now things are looking better.

Don't get discouraged, these babies are worth whatever it takes to give them another go at life.

Clyde
Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say is "WOW". My frame has a couple of holes rusted in the bottom of the side rails, but not nearly as bad as some of the pix I've just seen. I don't feel the car is unsafe, but I am a little concerned about what I CAN'T see! I am sure I will fix it soon, but I don't know if I am up for a years-long frame off project just yet. I appreciate everyone's input. This forum is way cool. I am 45 years old, and bought my first Vette when I was 19. I am always impressed with Corvette people, and I love this hobby (obsession)!!!!

temvette72
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help if we saw pictures of your frame rust. I can tell you from experience that the frame can be repaired with the body on it. It depends on the damage. My frame was rusted at the kick up and I got an experienced welder who was able to weld in patches in the frame. That was 6 years ago and it has functioned well since. I don't have the time or the facility for a frame off at this time so I have been able to enjoy my Corvette for the last 6 years and until I am ready for a frame off. You have to be careful because even though Corvette bodies don't rust they do burn.

Get notified of new replies

To frame rust

Quick Reply: frame rust