Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Help me decide. AR or LG headers???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide. AR or LG headers???

I'm trying to decide which headers to purchase for my 03 Z06. It is mainly stock with the only mods being a oil catch can, Halltech Trap cai and a skip shift eliminator. I'm only planning on putting headers with cats on this car and using the factory titanium catback.

I'm trying to decide between the AR catted set-up, LG pro series catted system or possibly dynatech. Which one would you choose for the money? The engine will remain stock and the car is street driven and never tracked. I'm kind of leaning to the AR system as I've heard very good things about the quality of their products and ease of installation.

Also, would the car require a tune after installation? If so what tuning software is recommended, hp tuner? What kind of dyno numbers am I looking at with cai, headers and a dyno tune?

Thanks for the help and yes I have used the search function but would just like to gather some opinions.

Tyler
Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 AM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great....Have LG's here....but the AR's fit/flow great as well...

I had mine dyno tuned after the headers installed....I would say that is your best bet and added HP and adjusting the fuel curves from stock...also temp, and skip **** fixed as well.....Hand held tunes and chips get you close....but the dyno tune is all about your vehicle and that exact set up.....
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Both are great headers. I'm a fan of the AR's myself for various reasons. Honestly the biggest reason is because of the AR's only have 2 slip fits where the LG's have 8 I think...I HATE slip fit connections with a passion. As far as powerband only, LG's might work a little better for ya, if you dont race it that often, you might get a little more torque below 3 grand, but lose more up top. AR's fit the best, have the best quality, and are cheaper than the LG's, I think. You really can't go wrong, but i'd personally avoid the slip fits.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Given what you have said I think LG Pros would be best for you.

Here is a thread that should help you decide. Recommend you read what Tony Mamo had to say very carefully.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=lg+headers

You will need to re-tune car after header install to get benefits of headers. HP Tuners and EF live seem to be the two biggies in terms of tuning software.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

LG Pros here, very happy with them. I would basically say that a tune is mandatory after headers to get the full benefit from them as well as not getting a SES light. Silly to spend that kind of cash on headers and then not tune. Good Luck and Im sure you wont be dissapointed whichever path you choose to go
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Bigstik
Burning Brakes

As i am taking this route soon myself, is there really a whole lot of differance between the 3 brands (AR, LG, dynatech)? I mean they all come in 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" pipes. They all have 2.5 or 3" collectors, and you can get them all in the same material. The only varying factor is the design of the tubes.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I think its just a matter of which ones you feel are best, everyone will tell you something different, i did alot of research before i got mine and in the end i went with the LG Pros, i am very happy with them, with the LG's K&N air charger and a dyno tune i was putting out 397whp on my 04z.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

You can look at my dyno sheet in sig to see powerband, I have LG's. Both are great headers.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM
LarryDallas
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no first hand experience, but I have talked about this with my local corvette aftermarket tuner in the area that really knows his stuff. He told me that from an installation standpoint the ARs are much easier to work with. He also as found that the LGs have created some heat issues, but LG recommends against wrapping, so it can create an issue. That's just what I've been told. Either way I think they are both excellent choices.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The LG system has more parts and more slip fit joints. The AR and Kooks headers have less parts and only one slip fit joint.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 AM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LarryDallas
I have no first hand experience, but I have talked about this with my local corvette aftermarket tuner in the area that really knows his stuff. He told me that from an installation standpoint the ARs are much easier to work with. He also as found that the LGs have created some heat issues, but LG recommends against wrapping, so it can create an issue. That's just what I've been told. Either way I think they are both excellent choices.
do you by any chance know why LG recomends against wraping the headers?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Bigstik
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eric04
do you by any chance know why LG recomends against wraping the headers?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1809329

This should explain things.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bigstik
I called LG motorsports and talked to one of the guys there, he told me the LG Pros are made of 304 stainless not 409 stainless, and that 304 stainless has more nickle in it and wont rust or degrade, he said he has customers that have wraped the LG's and havent had any problems, and he doesnt think there is a problem wraping there headers, but he has never done it and cant tell me what the very long term results will be,

Last edited by eric04; 09-20-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Thanks for all of the good advice guys! I'm still leaning towards the ARH system as I can get it for quite a bit less than the LG system and I like the fact it has less slip fit connections. Does anybody know how ground clearence is with both systems?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdn ws6
Thanks for all of the good advice guys! I'm still leaning towards the ARH system as I can get it for quite a bit less than the LG system and I like the fact it has less slip fit connections. Does anybody know how ground clearence is with both systems?
I just installed the Dynatech's and am quite impressed with the quality of fit and finish. I had them ceramic coated so don't need the wrap and it looks really great. Only slip joints are the cats to the X pipe. Rest of the connections are bolt up's, so alignment is real easy. Got mine from TBYRNE
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Independent1
Given what you have said I think LG Pros would be best for you.

Here is a thread that should help you decide. Recommend you read what Tony Mamo had to say very carefully.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=lg+headers

You will need to re-tune car after header install to get benefits of headers. HP Tuners and EF live seem to be the two biggies in terms of tuning software.

Good luck.
Good write-up.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
EBMR02Z
Instructor

I have AR's and will go with LG Pro's next time. I do not like the location of the front O2 sensors and the rear pipe assembly is not centered to my liking. Its real close to the heat shield for the gas tank on one side and has a big gap on the other. Nothing you can do about it because all bolts up with no shifting it around. Maybe LG's would do the same thing who knows. The power gain was very noticebeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide. AR or LG headers???

Old 09-20-2007, 04:33 PM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Is it necessary to ceramic coat or wrap stainless headers? I was under the impression that it was not.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdn ws6
Is it necessary to ceramic coat or wrap stainless headers? I was under the impression that it was not.
No, Not necessary to coat or wrap. By doing so, it keeps the heat contained in the pipes and they exhaust out the back, (if you do the whole system) Especially with the headers, you can notice a huge temperature difference if you are changing plugs or working in the header area. I also believe that it helps keep the counsel area cooler (I do have a ceramic tunnel plate)

Good Luck,
Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
NightmareZ06
Racer

I luv my LG Pros

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help me decide. AR or LG headers???